'Your aim is true and your eyes sharp, <name>, but your prey is still weak. You are not yet skilled enough to hold your own against the foes you need to face.
'I may know someone who can guide you. Gytha Lainey is a hunter of no small skill, and though she has little patience for the undeserving, if she feels you are worthy of the instruction, she will gladly teach you what she knows.
'Look for Gytha Lainey at Adso's Camp on the Great East Road, between Bree and Buckland.'
For a true hunter, speed and precision are everything. A lack of one brings ill fortune. A lack of both brings disaster.
Gytha Lainey, a hunter of great skill, can be found in Bree-land at Adso's Camp on the road between Bree and Buckland.
You have been told to speak with Gytha Lainey for instruction in the art of the hunter.
- Hunter Trainer: 'You can find Gytha Lainey at Adso's Camp on the road between Bree and Buckland.'
- Gytha Lainey: 'You say you are a hunter, but what proof do you have that you have chosen the right calling? Perhaps you should have been a minstrel, like that Prescott fellow who sometimes sings of my doings. Or perhaps the calling of burglar would have suited you better, like the hobbit back there with his eyes on Adso's roast?
- 'Still you say you are worthy of calling yourself a hunter! I shall be the judge of that, then, for I have a challenge for you. A mighty wolf stalks among the fallen leaves of the Old Forest, but she displays unusual cunning for her kind and is a menace to those who stray from the paths.
- 'Speak with me if you are willing to undertake this challenge, and I will go with you into the forest. There will I judge your skill in bringing down the terrible Yellowfang.'
- Journey with Gytha Lainey into the Old Forest
Gytha Lainey, a hunter of great skill, can be found in Bree-land at Adso's Camp on the Great East Road between Bree and Buckland.
Gytha is waiting to speak with you about journeying into the Old Forest.
- Gytha Lainey: 'Are you ready to go? We will travel into the Old Forest, and I will judge your merit -- if you can defeat Yellowfang, you might be worthy of my teaching.
- 'Keep in your mind these two warnings, however. The Old Forest is a confusing place for the unwary, and it seems as if the trees move about when you are not looking. Even if you have journeyed beneath the canopy before, you might find that the paths are unknown to you now.
- 'And secondly, Yellowfang is no fool. She will not challenge you unless you can somehow draw her out of hiding. Your combat ability, as well as your skill at tracking, will be tested.'
- This is a Solo quest, and cannot be completed with a Fellowship.
- Complete the Instance: The Hunter's Path
Gytha Lainey, a hunter of great skill, can be found in Bree-land at Adso's Camp, on the Great East Road between Bree and Buckland.
Gytha is waiting to speak with you about your victory over Yellowfang within the Old Forest.
- Gytha Lainey: 'You surprised me, <name>. I did not believe you were capable of finding and defeating Yellowfang, and for that you have my apologies.
- 'You are a hunter of great promise, and I will teach you a technique you are already well on your way to learning on your own: the ability to more quickly let fly your arrows.'