- This side quest is notoriously difficult to receive a platinum medal in while playing solo, owing to the many things going on at the same time.
- Debris piles will become interactive in groups of three, to a total of twelve (four rotations). They are activated based on time passed; the order at which they become active is random. An onscreen message will give a hint where the next debris piles are becoming active ("A cry for help comes from near the [area]!"). The possible areas are:
- Mill: Right next to the Water-mill, at the edge of the stream.
- Wall: In the main defense area, next to the Captains and Soldiers who defend against the Glittering Caves side.
- South end of the bridge: Approximately in the middle between the Retreat from the Battle table and the Water-mill.
- Hill beyond the bridge: Very close to the "south end of the bridge" area, where two rocky hills flank a traversable opening.
- Each debris pile can reveal an Injured Rohirrim, a Healing Store, or a Small Black Powder Cask. The assigned drop is static, so each of the twelve debris piles always reveals the same thing which can be memorized. In total, there are five Injured Rohirrim, three Healing Stores, and four Small Black Powder Casks.
- Injured Rohirrim can be healed using the Heal Order. Then they will slowly hobble back towards the Hornburg. For maximum merit, they should be allowed enough time to make it back, as well as defended from attacking enemies.
- Small Black Powder Casks are armed and will explode after a delay. They should be disarmed for maximum merit.
- Healing Stores have no additional mechanic, but will be targeted by attacking enemies and should be defended for maximum merit.
- In the meantime, waves of Goblin Vandals and Uruk-hai Marauders will spawn and head towards the currently-active debris pile area. They prioritize targeting any Healing Stores or Injured Rohirrim in the area. If all nine waves are defeated, the quest ends immediately and only rewards for the current amount of merit obtained. Injured Rohirrim who have not reached the Hornburg will not award the extra merit for reaching the Hornburg.