Quest Talk:Chapter 4: A Tense Alliance
Speaking to Different Races
Both Corunothiel and Orvar speak differently when speaking to Elves and non-elves. They may refer to "their people" and "other people." -- Starbursty 09:13, 1 June 2011 (EDT)
I really dislike this kind of 'multiple-variants-at-once' kind of merging, and refuse to deal with editing it. So instead, I shall just cleanly list the three main dialogues to an Elf below.
- Bósi: 'Welcome back to Khazad-dûm, <name>. I am disappointed that Gimli did not return with you, but I am sure he had his own reasons. His father Glóin has long been a close friend of my father and Brogur's father, and Gimli surely retains the honour of his forebears.
- 'Celeborn of Lothlórien has sent a number of Elves to help us, and while I appreciate the assistance, they seem perhaps too eager to blame the dwarves for all troubles, both present and past. You have not done so, <name>; perhaps I had expected more of your kind to be as you are: fair-minded and even-tempered, like a dwarf!
- 'They have established a camp with one of my dwarves, Orvar Bellhammer, in a newly-excavated passage off Durin's Way: Buzun-ghâr. It is located in the very southeastern corner of Tharâkh Bazân, in the southern wall, right near the exit from those gardens. You will find Tharâkh Bazân to the northeast of this chamber; yes, the tree-filled area on your map there. Journey there and lend Orvar your aid.'
- Orvar: 'You have been sent by Bósi, <name>? Of you at least I have heard; these other Elves have been sent by Celeborn for the purpose of helping us drive the evil out of Khazad-dûm, but what have they done so far? Nothing, save casting blame and insults about!
- 'This cavern, Buzun-ghâr, was found shortly after you departed, and many of my folk were impressed by the state of it. The gardens still thrive! At least, up here they do; something rots and corrupts the plant-life as you descend.
- 'But while we could use some real help in clearing the cave of danger, instead the rest of your folk speak often of "digging too deeply" and "disturbing things best left undisturbed." If this is the best Celeborn has to offer, I'd rather he kept them to your woods, and left the Mines to my people!
- 'You talk to Corunothiel, <name>, and see if I'm wrong. You'll see I am not!'
- Corunothiel: 'Listen to me, <name>, for this Orvar will not listen to reason. Some evil lives at the bottom of this cavern, and if this place is not sealed away the evil may spread.
- 'This is always the way of dwarves! Why must they always dig into places they were not meant to go? Will they not be satisfied until no evil remains beneath the stone, and all have come to the surface to lay waste to the homes of our people?'