Enter or not to Enter?
The following comment is correct only if all players follow the advice: Lottery#Consider not entering every character blindly.
- If all players but a few follow this advice, the few gains advantage.
- If most players enter all toons they have and a few follow the advice, the few are at severe disadvantage but the majority have about the same chance to win.
This all boils down to "how many lots do each part-taker have compared to one another". And it boils down to "don't trust your fellows to be as honest as they claim". Thus I suggest the advice to be removed as it is an individual comment based on the dream that everybody, without a single exception, follow the advice :-D
Zimoon (talk) 12:41, 12 March 2012 (EDT)
- What you say is true, but what I wrote is good advice 100% of the time if a character really has no way to use the reward. The mount prizes are bound on acquire, and if I already have that mount I can't use it again, so all I can do is destroy it. There really is no point to entering this lottery, and with a set number of winners per server it's harmful to other players who might have won it and been able to use it. Most lottery items are bound to account or not bound at all, and then this wouldn't apply, but often the really valuable ones are BoA.
- This advice is frequently brought up in the lottery discussions on the official forums. It's not really about increasing or decreasing chances to win, it's about basic consideration for others. I suppose the wording could be altered to make it more clear. -- Elinnea (talk) 12:56, 12 March 2012 (EDT)
- I concur, it is a really good advice for every player that cannot think straight :)
- Already having that BoA item decreases the chance to win on some other same-account character, that is true.
- And I am not denying the morale, just the implied math that chances become worse. Good morale is my second name ;)
- Zimoon (talk) 13:28, 12 March 2012 (EDT)
- Of course it's not possible to decide what other people are going to do, but it's also very easy to automatically click the "Enter All" checkbox without thinking about this potential downside. So as long as we were offering advice about lotteries I thought I'd point it out. -- Elinnea (talk) 13:44, 12 March 2012 (EDT)