'Here is the horse. Ride swift and sure, <name>! If there is any hope out there to find, I trust that you will find it and bring it back to us!'
You will automatically travel in search of Théoden's Riders when you accept this quest.
Lobordil has provided you with a rested horse to go in search of help along the northern road.
Lobordil provided you a rested horse to carry you with all haste along the road north of Minas Tirith in search of help.
- You leap from the back of your borrowed horse at the sight before you
You have found the remains of Hirgon, and his mortally wounded fellow soldier, north of Minas Tirith, in Talath Anor.
- Andothol: 'Are you... from the city...?'
- The man coughs wetly, and blood courses from his wounds. He will not live long.
- 'You must know... this is Hirgon... errand-rider of Gondor. He returned from Rohan... bearing news... of Théoden. He will come! He will come... to the city...
- 'The wall was... held against us... so we turned way. But the Orcs... caught up with us. They took... took his head. They would have had mine, but... but their leader urged them back... to the wall. But listen! Listen... to my last words...
- 'A great camp... of foes... lies between Théoden and... and the city... They cannot pass that way... they must... find another...'
- Andothol speaks the truth. Théoden cannot come by the road
- Cross the bridge into Taur Drúadan, north-west of Hirgon's body
You should cross the bridge north-west of the bodies of Hirgon and Andothol, and decide what to do next.
- You should enter the wood to the south-west if you are to find Théoden
- Enter the wood to the south-west, in Taur Drúadan
If the road through the Beacon-marches is held by the Enemy, you will need to pass through the wood to the south-west to reach Théoden.
- Strange tracks on the dirt floor of the wood bear further inspection
- Study the strange tracks beneath the eaves of the wood
There are strange tracks in the earth beneath the wood's canopy.
- Strange Tracks: You have never seen tracks such as these before. Some figure walked here on two legs, but the grooves on either side cannot be explained.
- As you study the tracks and see they continue to the south-west, you hear the distant sound of drums emanating from deeper in the wood.
- The tracks continue to the south-west, toward the distant drums
- Travel south-west in search of more tracks
The strange tracks continue to the south-west within the wood.
- You have found more strange tracks, and they bear further inspection
- Strange Tracks: As you study the strange tracks, you notice that you have gotten closer to the drumming, though it is still distant. The tracks continue to the south-west. What creature has made these markings, and is it responsible for the drumming as well?
- Travel further south-west seeking more of the strange tracks
The strange tracks continue to the south-west within the wood, and the drumming has gotten louder.
- You have found even more strange tracks
- Strange tracks: The drumming has become quite loud now, and you feel uneasy, as if you are being watched.
- You become aware of a strange creature watching you
A strange squat creature watches you within the Drúadan Forest.
- Khôr-buri-Ghân: 'I see you long time before you see me. Do you walk with eyes closed in forest?'