Originally the Gondorian province of Calenardhon, the land north of the White Mountains was gifted by Steward Cirion to Eorl of the Northmen in 2510 (Third Age). Eorl had led his men through great hardship from the far north to the aid of Gondor, and Cirion gave him the wide green lands of Calenardhon in recognition of his aid, swearing eternal friendship between old Gondor and the new land of Rohan.
Rohan's history was one of conflict and war; with the Orcs of the White Mountains to their south, the Dunlendings to the west, and ultimately with Saruman in Nan Curunír in the fortress of Isengard in the tower of Orthanc to the northwest .
Nonetheless, the line of the Kings of Rohan stretched from Eorl's time to the War of the Ring and beyond. The Kings sat in the Golden Hall of Meduseld in Edoras, built by Eorl's son Brego. At the time of Gondor's greatest need, they kept the Oath of Eorl, and rode to the aid of their ancient allies at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
Rohan is divided into two regions - Eastern Rohan and Western Rohan
The overall area is called "Western Rohan," also referred to as Westemnet.
- To be released in the fall of 2013. In the News/Helm's Deep (press release)
- Experience the Battle for Helm’s Deep – Fight to defend Helm’s Deep starting at level 10, as your character enlists as a soldier in the Battle of the Hornburg, the most massive conflict yet in The Lord of the Rings Online. Earn rewards for your contribution to the war effort – win or lose, your aid makes a difference!
- Explore new landscapes across Western Rohan - Explore the Westemnet of Rohan and rally each of the five Ridings as Rohan returns to glory. Traverse the capital of Edoras, mysterious Dunharrow, and the fortress of the Hornburg, deep within Helm’s Deep.
- Advance from levels 85 to 95 - Experience 10 new levels, from 85 to 95, with new skills and completely updated class specializations. Both mounted and un-mounted combat will challenge you as you war against the evil of Saruman.
- Continue the Epic Story - Encounter beloved characters such as Aragorn, Éowyn, and Éomer. Restore King Théoden to his rightful lordship and defend the peoples of Rohan at Helm’s Deep.
- The Warg-riders of Saruman sweep into the Broadacres to burn and destroy with unrelenting fires that consume large swaths of grassland outside Stoke. Catastrophe looms as the flames encroach on the Riders' settlements. In the north, the village of Torsbury is assaulted by Dunlendings, pressing their invasion out of the Stonedeans.
- A flat and fertile land of rich soil and swaying, grey-green grass, growing so high in places that it reaches the knees of a man on horseback. The land is among the least rocky in the Mark, and while a few chestnuts and elms dot the landscape, most of it is treeless.
- Reeve Fríthild is the sole woman to rule a Riding in the Mark. A shield-maiden by birth and training, she was the only child of the former knight, Fríthgist, who raised her like a son. When Éowyn visited Edoras as a child, Fríthild treated her like a foster-sister. Ever since, Éowyn has wanted to follow her footsteps and wield a sword in battle.
- Located on the far side of the realm, away from Isengard, Eastfold has seen little of Saruman's savagery, but is not at peace. Long thought destroyed and starved for vengeance, the Orcs of the White Mountains stir once more through Sauron's dark will.
- Eastfold's lands divide into three areas: the Folde, the Fenmarch, and the Everholt. The Folde is rich farmland that has long served the realm. The Fenmarch blooms with wildflowers, tussocks, reeds. Everholt is an old oak forest and royal hunting ground running uphill to the White Mountains.
- Home of Éomer, Third Marshal of the Riddermark, Eastfold is among the oldest Ridings in the Mark; it was the seat of Eorl the Young when he first became King. The capital moved to Edoras during the reign of his son Brego, but the Eastfold remains the site of many important moments of Rohan's history.
- For nearly thirty years, from atop Edoras, beloved Théoden King has ruled Kingstead and the entire Mark. In recent months, Gríma Wormtongue's whispering counsel has made the once-beloved King increasingly feeble and suspicious. Now, word of his son Théodred's death has sunk Théoden into a dark and profound depression.
- Kingstead, royal Riding of the Mark, is among the most fertile and pleasant of all Rohan's provinces. Stretches of rich green grassland and farms are scattered between the rivers Snowbourn and Swiftwater, where the land grows damp and marshy, dotted with willow trees.
- Behind Edoras, deep into the White Mountains, lies the valley of Harrowdale, once plagued by Orcs that were wiped out over a century ago by King Folca the Hunter. Some whisper, however, that not all the Orcs were slain, and that some are biding their time, waiting for a chance to exact vengeance upon the Mark.
- The Wild Men, with help from Saruman's Orcs and Uruk-hai, control a great deal of the Stonedeans. They prepare to cross the river-gorge at Brockbridge, where a few brave men hold back an endless tide threatening to wash over northern Stonedeans. Should the Wild Men succeed, they will surely march on Edoras to raze the city and its golden hall to the ground.
- A region among the foothills of the Misty Mountains, the Stonedeans consists of crags, broken stones, tall oaks and firs, and rushing rivers. A source of many of the metals worked by the Rohirrim, particularly iron mined from the low mountains that surround Nan Curunír.
- By no coincidence is this Riding the most similar to Dunland. Historically poor and uncivilized, compared with the remainder of the Westemnet, the Stonedeans have seen many marriages between Eorlingas the Dunlendings. Rohirrim from more prosperous lands even call it "Deanland" in jest.
- Ravaged and burned by servants of Isengard, the Westfold has crumbled into disarray. Its leaders scatter and lose skirmishes as they attempt to regroup, and even the mightiest begin to lose heart. The great refuge of Helm's Deep is the Rohirrim's last hope, and it is upon these sparsely defended walls that the enemy hordes assault.
- Rocky meadows dotted by elms and alders, many chopped and hewn by raiders, the Westfold is cut by the rushing river of Swiftwater. Three other rivers, the Deeping-stream, the Grimbrook, and the Woodwell, flow from the White Mountains, their banks peppered with stony outcroppings.
- Helm's Deep is protected by a raised and semi-fortified earthwork known as Helm's Dike and the ancient Númenórean keep, the Hornburg. Beyond the Hornburg, the mighty Deeping-wall shelters the rest of the valley. The Deeping-stream runs through the wall's base.
- Warband: Búrzash
- Warband: Darkheart
- Warband: Felljaw
- Warband: Scion of the Great Boar
- Warband: Snapfang
A note on Quest Sequencing.
- Most of the quests in East Rohan are "sequenced." That is to say, you must complete certain other quests before you will be offered a particular quest.
- Intermixed with the "normal quest lines" are those of the Epic Volume III.
The structure requires you to complete Volume III Book 11 to open up the "local" quest lines.
-  Word from Edoras - vector to Aldburg
-  The History of Aldburg
-  Restoring the Glory
-  Aldburg Convenes
-  Dire Threat
-  Scouting the Enemy
-  A Decision Must Be Made
-  On the Attack
-  Patrolling the Fenmarch
-  Save the Lumber-yard
-  Into the Marsh
-  The Dreaded Day
-  The Royal Banner
 Looking for Evidence
-  Following a Lead
-  The Search for Meregyth
-  A Beacon of Hope
-  Under the Watchful Eye
-  The Legend of Folca
-  Shedding New Light
-  A Convincing Argument
-  Staging a Collapse
-  Breaking the Back of the Boar
-  Sorrow Subsides
-  All Roads Lead Back to Aldburg
-  Too Late -- The Riders Four - These are actually in Edoras and must be done before the evacuation, however note also that they do not count for Deed completions: Quests of Kingstead or Quests of the Broadacres.
-  To the Broadacres - vector to Stoke
-  Securing Stoke
-  Serving the Summons, Part I - to Oserley
Continued after Tordag's Camp quests:
-  The Acres Aflame
-  War is Coming
-  The Council of Stoke
-  Bringing Comfort
-  Gifts for the Children
 Ride Against the Goblins
-  Brigands in the Wild
-  The Wild Captain
-  Assault on Bardh-dorám
-  Celebration of Victory
-  Shield-maiden of Rohan
-  Wards of Oserley
-  A Spy Among Us
-  Ride for Vengeance
-  A Riding in Need
-  The Broadacres Betrayed
-  Pilfered Goods
-  A Traitor in the Midst?
-  Servants of Saruman
-  Foul Intentions
-  The Lady's Protector
-  The Lady's Sorrow
-  The Lady's Champion
-  The Lady's Gratitude
-  Filth and Corruption
-  A Threat Ended
-  Serving the Summons, Part II - vector to Tordag's Camp/Torsbury
-  The Lady's Favour
-  Enemies Abound
-  Turning in the Report
-  Testing Their Strength
-  Courage of Torsbury
-  Forth the Toringas
-  Torsbury Defeated
-  Torsbury Delayed
-  To the Stonedeans -- Vector quest from Middlemead
-  Onward to Woodhurst
-  Investigation of the Mead Hall
-  The Council of Herubrand
-  Changing of the Guard
-  A Lack of Support
- Requires The Former Guards:
Continued after Brockbridge quests:
-  Farm-fields of Woodhurst
-  Invitation for a Drink
-  Persuading Aid from Gapholt
Continued after Gapholt quests:
-  Aid for Brockbridge -- Vector from Woodhurst
-  Thane Léoferth of Brockbridge
-  Hungry Defenders
-  Messenger of the Brockbridge Siege
-  Siege Escalated
-  Survivor at Flodgeheld
-  Unmeasured Malice
-  Eyes and Ears of Madh-fushaum
-  Ballistae of Madh-fushaum
-  Food-stores in Madh-fushaum
-  The White Hand Army in Madh-fushaum
-  The Captains of Madh-fushaum
- [OPTIONAL]  The Gríma Influence
- [OPTIONAL]  Siege-breakers of Madh-fushaum
- [OPTIONAL]  A Grím Encounter
- [OPTIONAL]  Sentries Outside of Madh-fushaum
-  Follow the Trail
-  A Long Journey for the Steeds
 Tied Hands
-  Preparing for the Departure
-  The Long Road to Woodhurst
-  To the Westfold
-  The Westfold: To the King's Aid
-  The Last Great Stronghold
-  Helm's Gate: Dwarf-expertise
-  The Scattered Lords of the Westfold
-  Searching for Erkenbrand
Available after Vol. III Book 13:
 Let's Take Back the Hornburg
- Epic Battles quests
- Helm's Dike
- Possible side objectives for Helm's Dike.
- The Deeping Wall
- Possible side objectives for The Deeping Wall.
- The Deeping-coomb
- Possible side objectives for The Deeping-coomb.
- The Glittering Caves
- Possible side objectives for The Glittering Caves.
- The Hornburg
- Possible side objectives for The Hornburg.
- The following quests are available at Marton:
-  A Reluctant Young Leader
-  The First Decisions of a New Thane (pick ONE of below three options)
-  Agelwyn's First Command
-  Making Ready to Flee
-  The Journey to Helm's Deep
-  Now to Grimslade, Grimbold's Home
-  A Stony Welcome
-  Hildith's Council
-  A Dangerous Mission
-  Survivors From the Fords - Session Play
-  Unexpected Compliance
-  Grimslade Will Burn
-  The Shattered Lord
-  The Mustering
-  To Helm's Deep
- West Rohan Task Quests
All Slayer deeds are tracked by Region -- West Rohan
All Lore deeds are tracked by Region -- West Rohan
All Reputation deeds are tracked by Faction in the Region
Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of West Rohan Settlements: Aldburg • Beaconwatch • Brockbridge • Edoras • Entwade • Fenmarch • Gapholt • Grimslade • Helm's Deep • Middlemead • Oserley • Stoke • Tordag's Camp • Underharrow • Woodhurst Areas: Broadacres • Eastfold • Kingstead • Stonedeans • Westfold Landmarks: Kingstead: Dark Door • Dimholt • Dunharrow • Dosa's Farm • Folcbur’s Homestead • Gurz-shâpol • Harrowdale • Meduseld • Pendlac’s Farm • Upbourn
Eastfold: Everholt • Folde Farm • Gris-shâtroful • Dorr-hâtroful
Broadacres: Bardh-Dorám • East Fangorn • Snagfen • Torsbury
Stonedeans: Flodgenheld • Madh-Fushaum • Mate Isernore • Orlag Den • The Roaring Hills • Mate Isernore
Westfold: Erkenbrand’s refuge • Fords of Isen • Fushum Raus • The Hornburg • Lufût-mos• Marton • Marton Farmlands • Marton’s Refugees • Shatorthum
Regions of Rhovanion East Rohan • The Great River • Lothlórien • Mirkwood • Moria • West Rohan • Wildermore
Settlements and Landmarks of Broadacres Settlements: Oserley • Stoke • Tordag's Camp Landmarks: Bardh-Dorám • East Fangorn • Snagfen • Torsbury
Settlements and Landmarks of Eastfold Settlements: Aldburg • Beaconwatch • Fenmarch Landmarks: Everholt • Folde Farm • Gris-shâtroful • Dorr-hâtroful
Settlements and Landmarks of Kingstead Settlements: Edoras • Entwade • Middlemead • Underharrow Landmarks: Dark Door • Dimholt • Dunharrow • Dosa's Farm • Folcbur’s Homestead • Pendlac’s Farm • Upbourn
Settlements and Landmarks of Stonedeans Settlements: Brockbridge • Gapholt • Woodhurst Landmarks: Flodgenheld • Madh-Fushaum • Mate Isernore • Orlag Den • The Roaring Hills • Wid Isernore
Settlements and Landmarks of Westfold Settlements: Helm's Deep • Grimslade Landmarks: Erkenbrand’s refuge • Fords of Isen • Fushum Raus • The Hornburg • Lufût-mos• Marton • Marton Farmlands • Marton’s Refugees • Shatorthum