Lord of the Rings Online
The Lord of the Rings On-line is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) set in Tolkien's Middle-Earth, developed by Turbine, Inc.
It is available in multiple languages in virtually every country of the world. English, French and German language support is found in the game client for players in North America and Europe. Release and patch notes as well as Forums are also available in those languages. Servers also support gamers in Russia.
- A convenient iPhone "App" -- the "LOTRO Herald" is available to track world-wide server availability.
- Note: Following the "update" to the LOTRO Forums in the summer of 2013, the Lorebook and data.lotro.com were removed from existence by Turbine. This resulted in the elimination of a major portion of the functionality of the "LOTRO Herald" app and it has since been removed from the App Store. However, if you still have the app it will continue to display correct server status. Only the Character detail portions are no longer functional.
- A newer and somewhat different app has been created called "LotroComplete" by "greatlord365." This is now available in the App store.
- A web page: http://www.lotrostatus.com also exists with displays server status. (But not the additional information displayed in the iPhone app.)
Game launch and history of major releases
- 24 April 2007 - Official Launch - The Lord of the Rings Online™: SHADOWS OF ANGMAR™
- 18 November 2008 - The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria was the first major expansion for the game.
- 1 December 2009 - The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood, became the second major expansion.
- 20 April 2010 Turbine, Inc., the game's developer was acquired by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.
- Free-to-play (F2P) was begun on 10 September 2010. -- Volume III: Book 2: The Ride of the Grey Company
- Update 2 (since Free to Play), Echoes of The Dead -- 18 March 2011
- Update 3 (since Free to Play), Lost Legends of Eriador -- 05 May 2011
- Update 4 (since Free to Play), the third major expansion The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard (ROI), was released on 26 September, 2011 - a day earlier than announced.
- Update 5 (since Free to Play), Armies of Isengard - 12 December, 2011
- Update 6 (since Free to Play), Shores of the Great River - 12 March, 2012
- Update 7 (since Free to Play), Shades of the Past - 14 May, 2012
- Update 8 (since Free to Play), The fourth major expansion - The Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan (ROR); Introduction of the Native Mac Client - originally scheduled for release in early September, was delayed and released on 15 October 2012.
- Update 9 (since Free to Play), Against the Shadow - 17 December, 2012
- Update 10 (since Free to Play), Against the Shadow part II - 6 March, 2013
- Update 11 (since Free to Play), Treachery of the White Hand - 13 May, 2013
- Update 12 (since Free to Play), The fifth major expansion - The Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep (HD) - 20 November 2013
- Update 13 (since Free to Play), The Breaking of Isengard - April 14, 2014
- Update 14 (since Free to Play), The Paths of the Dead - July 14, 2014 (Western Gondor)
- Update 14.2 (since Free to Play) - The Dead Marshes - September 15, 2014
- Update 15 - Gondor Aflame - 5 November 2014
- Update 16 - East Gondor: locked and under siege - 4 May 2015 (Central Gondor)
- Update 17 - Minas Tirith under siege - 27 October 2015
- In between each "Expansion" there has been many "free content updates" which significantly expand the world.
- * See also Patches for Release Notes and related information on each enhancement.
- Customizable player characters:
- 5 Races: Beorning, Dwarf, Elf, Hobbit, and Man
- 10 Classes: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champion, Hunter, Guardian, Lore-master, Minstrel, Warden, and Rune-keeper.
- 10 Professions, enabling resource gathering and item crafting.
- The Traits system allows further customization of the character's skills and stats.
- Monster Play (PvP)
- In-game trading, mail service and auction system.
- Acclaimed Player Music System. Allows one to play music and entertain other players in-game, utilizing the "ABC Music system."
All of the information found on this, the Lotro-Wiki.
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep