The Trollshaws are located in the east of Eriador, largely between the rivers Hoarwell and Bruinen, but also includes the highlands east of the Bruinen and south of Rivendell. The Trollshaws lies east of The Lone-lands, with Eregion to the south, Ettenmoors to the north, and the Misty Mountains to the north-east. The woods and gorges of the Trollshaws have been largely uninhabited for long, aside from Elrond's elven refuge in the secluded Rivendell Valley, which is forever a haven of peace and harmony.
This region became known as The Trollshaws after the lands of Rhudaur were cast into ruin and became inhabited by evil trolls. The region is filled with towering pine and beech trees, as well autumnal forests and roaring rivers. The horizons are often blocked by high hills and steep, impassable cliffs that shadow deep gorges and dead-end ravines. The woods are dotted with ruins, remnants of lost civilization that now serve as lairs for some of Middle-earth's most savage beasts and servants of the dark lords such as trolls, hill-men, and wights.
Rivendell Valley is an area that is nestled in the deep valleys below the Misty Mountains, richly watered by streams flowing down the cliff faces and springs bubbling up from the ground. The valley is itself a settlement, the capital of the Trollshaws, in which the natural centre of activities is the Last Homely House, Elrond's magnificent residence. However, major services and legendary characters are found all over the beautiful valley.
- Levels: 35 - 40
- Capital Settlement: Rivendell — Vault, Auction House, Class Trainers, Forge and Relic-masters, Craft fairs, Superior Forge and Study, Scholar's Guild
- Factions: Elves of Rivendell
- Introduced: The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, April 2007
- Quest Pack: Quest Pack:Trollshaws or Quest Pack:Eriador Bundle
Not much is known about the early history of the western Trollshaws, but it was clearly inhabited by Men of Rhudaur (Sindarin for "Eastern Forests"), the east-most of the three lands that resulted from the dividing up of Arnor in III 861. Hill-men were the chief inhabitants of this area, and they soon fell under the influence of Angmar. The few Dúnedain living west of the Bruinen River where defeated III 1409 when the Witch-king invaded and destroyed their civilization, leaving the lands to decay and open for prowling beasts. It was probably at this time that trolls from the Ettenmoors dared move south again.
Rivendell, on the other hand, is better known. The settlement was founded in II 1967 by Elrond, when he was sent on a mission to save refugees who had fled north from Sauron's attacks on Eregion. Both Sauron and the Witch-king of Angmar besieged Rivendell at two different times, but were driven off by Gil-galad and elves from Lothlórien respectively.
In III 2941, in the woods west of Bruinen, Bilbo Baggins came upon the Stone-trolls Tom, Bert, and Bill. Gandalf tricked them into arguing until dawn when the sun came up and turned them to stone. Among their hoard Gandalf discovered his sword "Glamdring", Thorin Oakenshield found "Orcrist", and Bilbo claimed the knife known as "Sting".
Years later, in III 3018, Strider led a company of Hobbits from The Lone-lands through The Trollshaws to reach Rivendell and seek Elrond's council. However, the nine Nazgûl pursued them from Weathertop and at the Ford of Bruinen, the Nazgûl nearly claimed Frodo, until Elrond sent a flood down to sweep them away. The Elf-lord Glorfindel hastily brought Frodo to safety and healing in Rivendell. Just after that is where we are in the Epic story-line of LOTRO during the time you are visiting this region.
Points of Interest
- The Ford of Bruinen - skirmishs can be found in the Instance Finder
- Lost Temple - Level 65 World Instance
- Laenan - Level 65 Public Dungeon
- Nurath - Public Dungeon troll cave
- Thingroth - Public Dungeon troll cave
- Torogrod - Public Dungeon troll cave
- Bar-e-Therchir - Public Dungeon wood troll cave
- Draugroth - Public Dungeon Gauredain ruin
- Vault of Celebrían's Legacy - quest instance
- Outpost: Thorenhad: Basic services
- Mailbox, Milestone, Stable-master, Supplier and armament vendors, and Campfires.
- Quests: mainly level 36
- Quests: mainly level 39
- Creatures: mainly level 39
- Quests: mainly level 37
- World Instance: Lost Temple - Level 65
- Quests: mainly level 36
- Public Dungeon: Laenan - Level 65
- Capital of The Trollshaws
- Quests: mainly level 39 & various
- Camp: Barachen's Camp: Minor services
- Quests: mainly level 35
- Outpost: Echad Candelleth: Minor services
- Milestone, Stable-master, Healer, Camp Site Fire, and Campfires.
- Quests: mainly level 38 & 50
- Artisan Teir 4: All areas of the Trollshaws
- Mass Resource Spawn Area: The Trollshaws in Giant Valley for Dwarf-iron Deposit, Platinum Deposit, and Forgotten Text
Named Creatures Shard Collectors List
Each of these creatures is the special tougher named version. All have a high change to give a rare shard used in crafting.
|Bullcroak or||Tâl Bruinen||Toad|
|Slimebiter or||Tâl Bruinen||Crawler|
|Umling or||North Trollshaws||Spider|
List of everything in region:
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Trollshaws|
|Settlements:||Echad Candelleth • Rivendell • Thorenhad|
|Areas:||Bruinen Gorges • Giant Valley • High Moor • Nan Tornaeth • North Trollshaws • Rivendell Valley • South Trollshaws • Tâl Bruinen|
|Landmarks:||Amon Nendir • Amon Varadh • Bar-e-Therchir • Barachen's Camp • Barad Glamgil • Barad Remmellad • Bear Dens • The Blooming Fens • Cirith Ulunn • Crumbled Cellar • Delossad • Drauglad • Draugroth • Echad Gauradan • Eryn Singor • The Ford of Bruinen • Forgotten Monument • Garbert's Cottage • The Gates of Imladris • Gladdalf • The Glamgil Falls • Laenan • The Last Bridge • Lavanim • The Lost Temple • Minas Agor • Minas Ciliant • Narlinn's Post • Nurath • Ost Belegram • Ost Brandras • Ost Chall • Ost Dúrgonn • Ost Thondol • The Stone-trolls' Glade • The Stonemere • Taur Ornolf • Thingroth • Torogrod • Trapdoor Lair • The Wovenvales|
|Regions of Eriador|
|Angmar • Bree-land • Dunland (Gap of Rohan • Nan Curunír) • Enedwaith • Ered Luin • Eregion • Ettenmoors • Evendim • Forochel • The Lone-lands • The Misty Mountains • The North Downs • The Shire • The Trollshaws|