Talk:Cook Eastemnet Recipe Index
As an experiment I tried using the reward template rather than having a separate column for the icons. It has a couple benefits, but I don't think I like the effect, especially for a profession like Cook that uses the same icon for regular and critical output.
- It looks good for me. It can get a little bit confusing when you have a single icon and two different names, this reinforces the idea that they both have the same icon (or makes it clearer). For other professions that have different icons I think it would be better indeed, though.
- Another thing I just thought about from this is of perhaps putting reward on ingredients? Its easier to see what is an item if you have visual information along with written, but dunno, what you think?
- Gwenwyfar (talk) 10:00, 11 October 2012 (EDT)
- The trouble is that these crafting indexes get very long, and can load slowly when they start having so many icons. The category Special:LongPages is dominated by these recipe indexes and we were charged long ago to focus on the pages over 100,000 bytes. I'm always looking for ways to reduce the load, without messing up the nice layout that's been established.
- It looks good to me too.
- I don't think we need to worry about load for just one page such as this. The problem arises when somebody creates one pages that transclude all of these pages onto that one. Personally I do not really see the use for such monster pages, rather make that page be a summary of what is new, odd, and which levels the tier is servicing. Or am I out sailing in the blue again?
-- Zimoon (talk) 04:35, 12 October 2012 (EDT)
- Yeah, had forgotten about that. Though for those that have different icons we need to have all icons anyways. And for the ingredients I don't think it would be such a problem, since it would be the same few icons repeating themselves over and over, not unique icons to load for all ingredients.
- Gwenwyfar (talk) 07:30, 12 October 2012 (EDT)
- The real problem is not the cook pages, but the weaponsmith and woodworkers, who have all those LI recipes. It adds up to something very long. The supreme tier is the worst because of all the reputation recipes as well. Westfold probably would be long too, if more of them were complete. Since I see value in having consistency in presentation between all the crafting indexes, it's good to think about how design choices will affect those. -- Elinnea (talk) 10:34, 12 October 2012 (EDT)
- Weaponsmith and woodworker pages have the bonus that they share multiple generic icons, however. So they are long, but similarly as to ingredients, many icons are repeated. Cook page shouldn't be too different than those, considering that. There are still a lot of icons that aren't generic ones, but I've been doing some work in that (not so much I admit, just bows and crossbows done so far).
- Gwenwyfar (talk) 11:43, 12 October 2012 (EDT)