- Bullroarer is a public test server which will be opened periodically to test new content, performance enhancements or hardware changes still in development, before they are completed and approved for the live servers.
- Regarding Copying Characters from the Live Servers: A free Character Copy is available to those who want to copy their character over from the live servers to play on Bullroarer. Please note that some features on Bullroarer are not available to copied characters. Please read info on that and more on the Eyes & Guard Tavern Guide and FAQ forum post, as well as on the Character Copy To Bullroarer forum post (all listed below) before making your decision on whether or not you want to copy your character.
- Everything here is subject to change before reaching the live servers.
Bullroarer (Public Test Server)
- Note about the installer: The installer references Helm's Deep and needing a Beta key. However, other than changes and additions related to the Beta, the game will behave just as if it was a normal LotRO install. The only time you will need a Beta key is in the case of a closed beta, and you will apply it to your LotRO account by logging into Turbine's website with your LotRO credentials, putting in the key in the "Activate Product Key" box, and agreeing to the terms, including any Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA).
- Please also note that the patch server used for Bullroarer is normally closed until the server itself is or is about to become available. This means that you will be unable to patch the launcher (aside from files downloaded using Akamai) until a new testing session is about to begin.
How to Join a Beta
- If required, get a beta key and apply it to your account at https://myaccount.turbine.com. Beta keys can be obtained in a number of different ways, but you can usually just Google search to get a beta key. They are usually only required for expansion betas and require an agreement to an NDA (or Non-Disclosure Agreement), which basically says that you are not even allowed to tell others you are in the beta, let alone what is in the beta itself. For the most part, beta keys are not required, and you can usually skip this step.
- Click here to go to the download page for the LOTRO Bullroarer Client Installer. Please note that this is a full install of all the current game files, plus any new files from the beta. That makes for a very large and, potentially, very long download. Keep in mind that LOTRO will sometimes update the beta launcher installer and remove old links. If link above doesn't work, click here and look for a forum post that has something about download links in the title.
- Once everything is done downloading and installing, you can either create a new character or copy one you already have to Bullroarer for free using the character copy function in the beta launcher (the place where you select a server). To copy a character to Bullroarer, login to your account and, instead of clicking Play, click Transfer to open the Chaaracter Copy/ Transfer Wizard and follow the onscreen instructions. There are pros and cons to copying a character, but keep in mind that you will be unable to use most of the functions of The Eyes and Guard Tavern. If you have any questions about the Eyes & Guard Tavern or you copied character, please see the LOTRO forum post here. Please note that most tavern functions are not available for Beornings at this time.
- Have fun in beta! And be sure to break stuff! After all, that's what a beta is for!