The Water-works (Deed)
To complete this deed perform the following objective(s)
- Find The Rotting Cellar
- The brackish damp and mould of the deep Water-works have led the dwarves of the expedition to name this place the Rotting Cellar. The air seems laden with an unhealthy mildew, though the view offered over the once-great Water-works of Moria remains awe-inspiring.
- Find The Great Wheel
- This massive structure once powered great pumps that moved water about Khazad-dûm, providing drinking water for the dwarves, as well as supplying the enormous quantities of water needed to cool the grand forges. Nowhere else in Middle-earth could such feats of engineering be found, but, as they have been left unmaintained , most of these have fallen to ruin.
- Find Durin's Beard
- Several underground rivers were discovered flowing throughout the great caverns that make up Khazad-dûm, and all of these were tamed by the dwarves over the centuries. Here, the greatest of these torrents have been brought together to for the great waterfall that came to be known as Durin's Beard, in honour of the Father of the Dwarves.
- Find The Lost Palace
- Whether this dilapidated structure was ever truly a palace is hard to say. Time and moisture have taken their tolls, and anything of value was either stolen or rusted away long ago. It might have once housed the dwarves responsible for administrating te great Water-works that stretch out of sight from the steps of this building.
- Whatever this place once was, or whatever it contained, it now holds only stagnant, fetid pools and debris. It may once have served as the entrance to an ancient store-house.
- This ancient store-house may once have held materials needed to maintain the great mechanisms of the Water-works of Khazad-dûm. Now it lies quiet, filled with still, black water that does not appear to have been stirred by any living thing for years.
- Find The Lost Treasury
- The surviving records of Khazad-dûm mark this old storehouse as a treasury. Perhaps this building once overflowed with dwarf-gold and jewels, but that was long ago, before the Orcs came and stole it all away as tribute for the Dark Lord of Mordor.
- Find Narag-kheleb
- Next to this great pillar, in the ceiling far, far above, one can make out an ancient shaft that seems to lead to the upper levels of Moria. Whatever use the dwarves had for it, it seem that the goblins have since taken to using it as a place to hurl their refuse.
- Find Harâzgund
- The gateway of Harâzgund leads to the source of one of the greatest ducts in all of Khazad-dûm. It once supplied water to nearly half of all the dwarves who lived beneath these mountains, but it was broken by some unknown calamity during the long, dark years after the fall of Durin. Now the water lies here unmoving, flooding the deeps in great, stagnant pools.
- Dwarf-scholars believe that the Chamber of Memory was so named because it held a great repository of books and scrolls, storing many of the more mundane records of Khazad-dûm. If it indeed ever held such records, they have either been stolen away or were destroyed when the Water-works flooded after the kingdom's fall.
|10 LOTRO Points|
|Increased Reputation with Iron Garrison Miners ( 500 )|