The Last Homely House
Elf-lord Elrond's residence is located east-most of the valley, just by the Falls of Imladris and just by the foot of the Misty Mountains. This is where, at sunset, the sky turns pink and yellow, and the hills glow.
- "Frodo was now safe in the Last Homely House east of the Sea. That house was, as Bilbo had long ago reported, 'a perfect house, whether you like food or sleep, or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all'. Merely to be there was a cure for weariness, fear, and sadness." — The Fellowship of the Ring, by Tolkien
The Last Homely House welcomes guests, scholars, and adventurers in needs. Here they will meet many of the best known characters from Tolkien's works, and here Elrond and his elves give quests or advice. Among services are especially noted the Oven with its staff, Elrond's Library with Superior Studies and scholar trainers, as well as the Scholar's Guild-hall.
Notice: Many quests, services, and NPCs are detailed at the interior pages they pertain to, this page is about the house and its immediate outside. See also Rivendell Valley for a summary of all quests, services, and NPCs within the area.
See also NPCs within the interiors
Supplies & Services
At the Ground Floor of the Central Courtyard
|Cachúnir||Elves of Rivendell - Barter & Quest|
|Celia Greenweed||Consumable Trader|
At the walkways of the First Floor -- They trade pieces of level 50 armour sets
|Allan Threespot||Burglar Trader|
|Dora Thatcher||Captain Trader|
|Tad Boffin||Champion Trader|
|Hope Redfern||Guardian Trader|
|Blossom Brockhouse||Minstrel Trader|
|Till Bramble||Warden Trader|
|Gwingloth||Clerk of Kinships|
|Digloriel||Keeper of Gifts - Anniversary|
|Norien||Keeper of Gifts - Anniversary|
|Elmo Brown||Burglar Trainer|
|Malellam||Explorer of Eregion - Quest|
See "starting quests" and the interiors for more quests
See also quests from class trainers and crafting vendors
-  Scholar's Writs -- Introduction - Reputation - Scholar
-  Of Mysteries Most Profound -- Introduction - Reputation - Scholar
-  Studies of the Unknown -- Introduction - Reputation - Scholar
-  Volume I, Book 15, Epilogue -- Laerdan's Parcel
-  To Imlad Gelair
-  The Elves of Eregion
-  Into the Rift
-  Volume II, Prologue, Foreword: Unlikely Fellowship - Dwarf/Elf
-  Volume II, Prologue, Foreword: Bulwark of the West - Man
-  Volume II, Prologue, Foreword: Hobbits Far Afield - Hobbit
-  Volume III, Book 1, Instance: Messages from Lórien - Solo only
-  Volume III, Book 1, Chapter 1: Gallant as Elf-lords
-  Crafting: Artisan Scholar
-  Volume III, Book 1, Prologue: Messages from Lórien - Solo only
Interiors and Facilities
Notice: The different interiors within this section individually list quests, services, NPCs, and more, which pertain to each of them.
- See Bilbo's Room December 24th for more details.
Bilbo's Room December 24th is found at the ground floor in the southern wing of Elrond's house with the chambers where Bilbo Baggins has been living the recent years. However, most often he enjoys the company of Lindir in the Hall of Fire, playing riddle games and musing himself. Recently Gandalf, Frodo, and his hobbit friends arrived and are resting in Bilbo's chambers.
- Famous legends and quests
- See Laerdan's Chamber for more details.
Laerdan's Chamber is located in the northern wing at the ground floor. These are the chambers in which Laerdan rested after being freed from the tortures of Amarthiel. Other visitors may enter just while having quests pertaining to the chamber.
- Laerdan and quests
The Hall of Fire
- See The Hall of Fire for more details.
The Hall of Fire is found within the northern wing at the ground floor of Elrond's house. In there, Bilbo Baggins and Lindir trade riddles, Elf-singers praise the handsome Imladris, as do the elves at the upper levels. This is one of four crafting areas within Rivendell Valley and it provides ovens and a cook trainer, but also various vendors offering supplies and services, as well as a barber.
- Barber, Supplier, Provisioner, Hobby Master, Tavern Keep
- Ovens and Novice Cook
- Bilbo Baggins, Lindir, and quests
- See East Porch for more details.
- See Scholar's Guild-hall for more details.
The Scholar's Guild is a crafting guild that is found at the first floor of the southern wing, just under Elrond's Library. This guild rewards scholars that have gained required standing with access to improved or special recipes.Within the guild hall is also a Vault-keeper found..
- Superior Study
- Guild NPCs and vendors
- See Elrond's Library for more details.
Elrond's Library is located at the southern wing of the second floor of Elrond's house. This magnificent library is housing books, lore, and artefacts in a huge hall built in two levels. This is where Elf-lord Elrond Halfelven feels most comfortable and where he usually is found, at the lower level of the library. This is one of four crafting areas within Rivendell Valley and for Scholars this library houses many Superior Studies as well as Scholar trainers, both novice and expert.
- III 2941, late in May, Bilbo Baggins arrived to Rivendell together with Gandalf, Thorin Oakenshield and his throng. They were on their way to slay a dragon and reclaim a kingship.
- On III 3018, October 11, Frodo Baggins an his hobbit friends eventually reached Rivendell Valley and the Last Homely House. Here they came to stay for a little more than two months, until the Company of the Ring was formed, properly prepared, and they departed for the journey towards the east.
- "In the protected Valley of Rivendell, near the western slopes of the Misty Mountains stands the legendary House of Elrond, home to generations of noble Elves and a refuge for certain weary travelers in these dark days. Often called "The Last Homely House", this large and beautiful dwelling has been a tranquil yet well-protected and strongly-guarded refuge for as long as most memories can recall. Indeed, the Valley of Rivendell has been the home to Elrond and his people since well before the beginning of the Third Age, more than 3,000 years past. The house itself is expansive, with a seemingly endless array of rooms, libraries, gardens and other tranquil spaces. The dominant room in the home is The Hall of Fire, a large, pillared room so-named for the tremendous hearth in which a roaring fire is ever-burning. The Hall of Fire is a place of quiet reflection for most hours of the day, but is also a vibrant gathering place for lively song and storytelling in times of celebration. It is said that old Bilbo Baggins himself, now a resident of the House of Elrond in Rivendell, often frequents The Hall of Fire for a bit of writing, and, if truth be told, even more bits of napping.
- "It is here, within the House of Elrond, that the Fellowship of the Ring was recently formed, and from which the journey to destroy the One Ring in the fires of Mount Doom is about to depart. Elrond, the wise counselor and master of Rivendell remains here, available to provide guidance and counsel to travelers from distant lands. Adventurers who find themselves in Rivendell would be well-advised to spend as much time as can be spared there to enjoy and explore the house and its grounds, for there are also many celebrated guests staying under Elrond's care and protection at this time. Much can be learned from speaking with those who dwell within, as well as from spending time in the expansive library and marveling at the collected treasures displayed throughout.
- "The design of Rivendell and its surrounding valley for (Lotro) was inspired by drawings made by Professor Tolkien himself." — lorebook
- "In describing Elrond's house as homley, Tolkien refers to what the "Oxford English Dictionary" describes as 'characteristic of home as the place where one receives kind treatment; kind; kindly.'" — The Annotated Hobbit, by Tolkien and annotated by Douglas A. Anderson
|Settlements and Landmarks of Rivendell Valley|
|Landmarks:|| The Bridge of Rivendell • Elrond's Stables • The Falls of Imladris • The Forges of Rivendell • Guest Rooms December 24th • The Haven of Orladion • Hidhuinen • Imdolen • Imlad Gelair • The Market of Rivendell • Skirmish Camp • The Spire of Meeting |
Auction Faire of Rivendell • North Gate of Rivendell
Interiors: The Last Homely House
Bilbo's Room December 24th • East Porch • Elrond's Library • The Hall of Fire • Laerdan's Chamber • Scholar's Guild-hall
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Trollshaws|
|Settlements:||Echad Candelleth • Rivendell • Thorenhad|
|Areas:||Bruinen Gorges • Giant Valley • High Moor • Nan Tornaeth • North Trollshaws • Rivendell Valley • South Trollshaws • Tâl Bruinen|
|Landmarks:||Amon Nendir • Amon Varadh • Bar-e-Therchir • Barachen's Camp • Barad Glamgil • Barad Remmellad • The Blooming Fens • Cirith Ulunn • Crumbled Cellar • Delossad • Drauglad • Draugroth • Echad Gauradan • Eryn Singor • The Ford of Bruinen • Forgotten Monument • Garbert's Cottage • The Gates of Imladris • Gladdalf • The Glamgil Falls • Laenan • The Last Bridge • Lavanim • The Lost Temple • Minas Agor • Minas Ciliant • Narlinn's Post • Nurath • Ost Belegram • Ost Brandras • Ost Chall • Ost Dúrgonn • Ost Thondol • The Stone-trolls' Glade • The Stonemere • Taur Ornolf • Thingroth • Torogrod • Trapdoor Lair • The Wovenvales|