The Black Crack
|Region:||The Misty Mountains|
|Area:||Northern High Pass|
High high up the northern-most mountains of the High Pass lies the once secret passage into Goblin-town. A narrow path begins just north-east of Glóin's camp down at the "main gate" and winds itself up the mountain sides, over bodies of snow, past boulders, until it eventually turns north into a dead-end where the crack is found. Explorers should not let the serene outside fool them, as inside the crack roughly a dozen goblins can be immediately found, leaving no time to find one's bearings.
From Vindurhal, which has a Milestone, there is a winding path that quite safely leads straight to this location, high above the goblin camps. It begins just west of the dwarf-camp and continues on and on, but eventually reaches the crack.
The following deeds can be advanced by visiting this location:
- This small cave in the rocks of the High Pass offers apparent shelter for travellers in times of storm, but it was long ago discovered to be a concealed entrance into the burrows of Goblin-town below, from which goblins would emerge in the dark of night to kidnap those foolish enough to make a camp here.
- These days the crack sees little use as few even attempt the crossing any more, and the goblins more frequently emerge through the larger gate down below as they make ominous preparations for war. — Deed text
- "Soon Fili and Kili came crawling back, holding on to the rocks in the wind. 'We have found a dry cave,' they said, 'not far round the next corner; and ponies and all could get inside.'
- "'Have you thoroughly explored it?' said the wizard, who knew that caves up in the mountains were seldom unoccupied.
- "'Yes, yes!' they said, though everybody knew they could not have been long about it; they had come back too quick. 'It isn't all that big, and it does not go far back.'" — The Hobbit, by Tolkien
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Misty Mountains|
|Settlements:||Glóin's Camp • Hrimbarg • Vindurhal|
|Areas:||Bruinen Source East • Bruinen Source North • Bruinen Source West • Giant Halls • Goblin-town • High Crag • Northern High Pass • Southern High Pass|
|Landmarks:||Akûltot • Bergel's Notch • The Bitter Stair • The Black Crack • Caldwell Pool • Ceber Los • Cirith Daur • Cirith Imladris • The Deep-fires • Den of the Northern Army • Dómstoll • Eglanúr • Eikhall Dale • Erforgh Cleft • Frosthyle Pond • Gabilazan • Ghâshru • The Giant's Needle • Goblin-town Throne Room • Gollum's Cave • Greybough End • Hríthur's Haven • Imlad Norn • Iorbar • Iskeld's Lookout • The Lornstone • Men Helch • The Mountain's Throat • Nan Gongarag • Northtarn • Orod Laden • Pinnath Fenui • Rakhâs-bizar • Slave Pens • Snárskrith Dell • Starkhath • Stonecaller's Circle • Thorgest's Haven • Thundergrot • War Steadings • Whitcleft • Writhenbores|