I'd like to combine The Scholar's Guide page with the Scholar page, as much of the information is redundant. I'm unsure about the etiquette or process involved in doing so, and would appreciate someone chiming in! --Sweetmint (talk) 19:11, 18 September 2011 (EDT)
- You are so right! I've been poking around with all the profession pages lately, but I hadn't seen that one. Basically the most important thing for making changes is to make sure - just as you noticed - that the information is formatted consistently, and that it isn't duplicated elsewhere. Even worse, I found ANOTHER scholar's guide, too.
- On The Scholar's Guide, I'm thinking that page has so much duplicate info, that it could probably be deleted; however, there are a few things that are on that page and nowhere else, and need to be included in the other pages.
- For instance, the Dye Materials section is really valuable - as a matter of fact, that's something I had a placeholder for in the Crops page, and if you'll look [] you'll see a big discussion about it. I mention that, because if you would like to start putting your dye info into the Crops#Dyes section table, you'll have to read the discussion to know how to divide the table cells. Also, we need to have a table somewhere, on some page, for the non-plant dye ingredients, but honestly I haven't even had time to look and see if it already exists for me to include on this page.
- Also, since that section in the crops page is only about dye ingredients... there does happen to be a Dyes page that includes some of the info that was on the Scholar's Guide page. It might be nice to add a table column called "Color Description" or something like that, as a place to include the verbal descriptions from the Scholar's Guide page.
- Also, just FYI, I removed the consignment quests because they are no longer active in the game, and moved around the other sections a little, like where you had the scholar's guild quest in the quest section, I put the link directly to that quest.
- However, this conversation made me realize that we really need to pursue the list page v. category page thing, and different ways to sort stuff. For instance, we have a page of scholar recipes by tier, and of scholar's guild recipes by type, but the scholar's guild recipes aren't included in the scholar recipes by tier, and the scholar recipes by tier are not available anywhere to sort by type. I don't know what to do about that except make another index, and unless the information is transcluded, the new index would have to be updated separately. ugh. Anyhow, have at it! -Adelas (talk) 04:48, 19 September 2011 (EDT)
I agree that there needs to be a list of all the dye materials, those found farming, on plant nodes and mining. Thankfully the dye page now includes that information, and since the scholar page now links directly to the dye page, having that (very useful) information duplicated here is no longer necessary, especially as scholars can't mine or farm :) (I know, as historians of course they can farm, but technically those are two different professions).
This: "this conversation made me realize that we really need to pursue the list page v. category page thing, and different ways to sort stuff. For instance, we have a page of scholar recipes by tier, and of scholar's guild recipes by type, but the scholar's guild recipes aren't included in the scholar recipes by tier, and the scholar recipes by tier are not available anywhere to sort by type. I don't know what to do about that except make another index, and unless the information is transcluded, the new index would have to be updated separately. ugh" I'm totally with you on! Sweetmint (talk) 17:03, 7 January 2012 (EST)
- This page is looking great!!!
- From afar, I have a few questions/suggestions. Since the title of the dye section is transcluded, it does not link in the menu here. It's been months since I was reading the discussion linked above and I can't remember exactly what to do, and didn't want to mess it up. Would you be able to remove the section title from the transclusion, so that we can manually title it on this page to create a menu link?
- As far as the dyes section itself, I figured it would be easier to mention here than split it onto two pages: I put an asterisk next to everything that said "Cannot be cultivated" to point visitors up to the text about Wildflower Fields. Some people just skim over the text and only look at the table; hopefully putting an asterisk will prevent people from thinking they can NEVER be cultivated, and show them that they cannot purposefully be cultivated, only randomly.
- Also, looking at the column that says "Tier", I'm wondering whether there's a way to indicate that the tier is FARMING tier level (ie, the tier at which it can be obtained by a farmer), and not SCHOLAR tier level (ie the tier at which it is used by a scholar). I couldn't come up with a clean idea. Any suggestions? -Adelas (talk) 21:06, 7 January 2012 (EST)