Talk:Lotro-Wiki Contributors' Corner
Welcome to the 2017 Talk Page of Contributors' Corner
- Here you can ask questions and/or discuss general issues concerning LotRO-Wiki.
- Discussions regarding a specific article should be directed to its talk page.
- Please remember to sign and date your post by typing -- ~~~~ (four tildes) or clicking the signature icon in the edit toolbar!
- Start new discussion!
LOTRO and DDO have been acquired by Standing Stone Games
LOTRO-wiki Disclaimer updated
- The Lotro-Wiki.com:General disclaimer and the Game_Terms#Legal for LOTRO-wiki has been updated to include the relevant information from our new Publisher: Daybreak Game Company LLC and Developer: Standing Stone Games.
- Here are the couple of logos and Icons which are new with the change in ownership.
- There are probably others that are also relevant that I have missed.
Orphaned Pages... that aren't orphaned?
- I think I get the idea behind Orphaned Pages - that they are stand-alone articles without links to or from other articles. If that is truly what the Orphaned Pages is supposed to show, then I am confused. Because looking at the first 50 items listed, 19 are creatures that have an appropriate link from their respective instance or skirmish page under the Mobs section, within an expandable listing. Admittedly, these creatures are not transcluded, but by being listed, aren't they being "linked from"? Or does the bot/script for determining orphan status not see all entries in an expandable list? If they are being "linked from" then doesn't that mean they do not meet the orphan criteria of being "not linked from"? Or has the convolutions of logic escaped me again? -- Squirmier (talk) 21:45, 7 January 2017 (UTC)
- I would assume that this is not a live page but one which needs to be refreshed from time to time and has simply become outdated. Somewhere like Wikipedia you might need to refresh this on a daily basis or more often, but on a small wiki like this it's needed rather less often. Someone with the appropriate permissions needs to trigger the script, I guess. —NotACat (talk) 09:18, 9 January 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks NotACat for your answer. I started to try and wrap my brain around so I saw "orphaned" from the other perspective (ie, glass half-full or empty, but with orphans!) and ummm... lets just say I encountered Rod Serling and he was intrigued. (O-o) ! -- Squirmier (talk) 13:17, 9 January 2017 (UTC)
- What I have noticed with orphans is that some are orphaned if the only links to the page are from categories. If you access them from a drop down list, that is probably from an embedded category list. I don't know whether a clean up process fixes these ones. Noddi (talk) 16:23, 9 January 2017 (UTC)
- Noddi, that seems to be exactly what I'm encountering. I'm not sufficiently versed in Categories and their edits to comfortably perform such changes. I'm more then a dabbler, but less then a dedicated editor; my "simple" edits take me at least a couple of hours to craft. So I try to raise questions and point out the tougher issues when I encounter them. Which, quite strangely, seems to be astoundingly often. -- Squirmier (talk) 13:14, 10 January 2017 (UTC)
- IMO, these false positives need to be addressed. They are wasting effort by misleading contributors to track down non-existent errors (3.5+ hours researching the issue before I started this thread). New contributors might get so annoyed they stop contributing altogether. Unless it would require extensive time & resources to correct, I cannot imagine why the status quo would be maintained. -- Squirmier (talk) 13:14, 10 January 2017 (UTC)
- Do you have a link to one example? The orphan maintence script found no incorrect orphan pages. Feel free to ask these types of questions on my talk page. --Lotroadmin (talk) 05:24, 21 January 2017 (UTC)
- I should point out that MediaWiki's defination of a orpahn page
- Sadly the categorytree doesn't count but there's been a few feature requests, but the sole response was it wasn't possible.
- An alternate approach is to focus on pages without categories. I will review the extensions to see if there's a way to build an alternate list of orphans without categories.. --Lotroadmin (talk) 05:59, 21 January 2017 (UTC)
- There are only 4 orphan pages without categories and i found those after creating a simple extension that i will enable after some more testing. With a newer version of MW, i will try to add a hidden category for all pages with category tree and craft another extension to find orphans without that tag on the page. --Lotroadmin (talk) 00:46, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
indexing multi-level items
While working through the low level vendor and intro items, I have found many items with a similar name but different levels. These are being created with "(Level xx)" in their Wiki page name. Over the years there have been several attempts to index these, usually involving the item name without the level indicator, and a manually added list of pages with similar names or some comment about there being multi levels. I have a proposal to organise these. For each multi level type, create a sub-category for that type (eg, Bear Knife items), as a sub page of the type of weapon category. (eg, Dagger items). Then in each weapon page use the additional 1st, 2nd... category pages to add the page to sub-category. For each group created, create or modify the generic item page (eg Bear Knife) to include the category tree, similar to what I did for beasts. This will automate the indexing of these multi-level items. Feasible? If interested I will set up Bear Knifes as an example. Noddi (talk) 02:59, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
- I'm for this change, setting it up like Category:Star-lit Crystals, and in turn Category:Legendary Items would be great for better organization, in my opinion. Balorgor (talk) 06:13, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
Standing Stone Interview with MMORPG.com - new details on Update 20
Originally posted by Fashero: On Update 20 We plan to release Update 20 around our anniversary, which will feature a region called the Wastes. Players will adventure through the bleak Noman Lands, face danger in Dagorlad, and travel to Mordor’s very Slag Hills. We will take players to the Battle at the Black Gate, which is Lord Aragorn’s last and desperate attempt to divert the Enemy from its true demise. We’ll have two capstone resource dungeons that can be played in both solo and fellowship modes in the Towers of the Teeth. Update 20 will also feature an expansion of our Flora system, reputation barter items, and more. On the Mordor Expansion We will be releasing a new Producer’s Letter shortly that will outline our plans for 2017, but we intend to release Update 20, then focus on our 10thAnniversary, prior to releasing the Mordor expansion for Update 21. We are aiming to have a new race, the High Elf, released with Update 21. Update 22 will round out the year, but at this point, we’ll keep its contents under wraps. We also want to update our character avatars to make them even better looking. On the game after Mordor We have a rich trove of lore to mine from the books, so finding things to develop is sort of the easy part! Our team has been progressing our Epic Story at a steady pace, so the path of the Epic Story serves as a good place to start when deciding where to develop next. We typically look at where we are, where we are going, and what is the most exciting way for both us and players to get there. For a long time our community has been able to follow the path of the characters and events that Tolkien wrote, but soon we will begin focusing on adventures that lie beyond the War of the Ring, with Aragorn seated upon the Throne of Gondor. New heroes will need to take up the mantle, and those heroes will be the players.
Update 20 now up on Bullroarer
Lots of new stuff - -
Just the first couple of things from the Release notes: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?651783-Bullroarer-Update-20-Preview-and-Release-Notes
- The world has a new area, "The Wastes" with 3 new regions: Noman-lands, Dagorlad, and the Slag-hills. You can access this area and start the new quest content in the Camp of the Host.
- Two new resource dungeons: After completing the required quests, you can enter solo versions of Skoironk and Carchost using the doors found in the Slag Hills. For the fellowship versions of the dungeons you will need to speak to nearby npcs after completing the fellowship quests.
- Four more custom tabs have been added to the chat panel. Chat tabs are now allowed to display across two rows at the top of the Chat window.
- New crafting recipes for endgame tokens: Two Host of the West recipes have been added to the Anorien crafting tier for each profession (Cook, Jeweller, Metalsmith, Scholar, Tailor, Weaponsmith, and Woodworker). You can also acquire 2 additional recipes per profession via rep barter, and there is a 1-shot recipe that drops for each profession.
Renaming the page
I've done a mistake while creating a page
Pelennor Essence of Morale. Actually it should be Item:Pelennor Essence of Morale page. Could someone with appropriate rights fix it? Thank you. --Phindecano (talk) 04:04, 6 March 2017 (UTC)
- Sure thing, I just moved it. Thank you for contributing to the wiki! Balorgor (talk) 06:13, 6 March 2017 (UTC)
- I've been creating random pages as I've been exploring U20. . .
- Which is very much full of placeholders for many things - like the different thing you can barter for
- Consequently many of those things are very much arbitrary in what I've created so far and will need to be checked and re-verified as builds progress.
- Trying to sort out how they are dealing with the Crafting Recipies is one such area.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 21:07, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
U20 Relase -- apparently to be "next week"
Cordovan announced on March 14:
- We are tentatively planning to release U20 next week, if everything this week falls into place.
LOTRO Beacon #5 - a shout-out to the WIKI
- "We wanted to give a shout-out to one of LOTRO's most important player resources this week - The LOTRO Wiki! This has been the go-to place for people to get info on the game for years now, and we all appreciate it. Click here to visit the Wiki."
The LOTRO Beacon: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-5
It's April -- the 10th Anniversary is coming! - 4/20 10AM
The 10th Anniversary date is April 24th!
The event itself is scheduled to start 4/20/17@10am and end at 5/9/17@3am.
"There is also a specific 10th Anniversary-related event that is not yet on the calendar... "
Hi, I'm new to lotro-Wiki.com! I have started updating with all the housing changes with the new slot counts. I will also eventually be adding the new housing tool and how to use it. Please let me know if there is any feedback or anything in particular you (admins & leaders) would like me to work on. Thanks! —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Knight7671 (Contribs • Message • Email) at 23 May 2017.
- Welcome, and thanks for jumping in. The housing pages can certainly use updating, so feel free to make changes wherever you see inaccuracies or room for improvement. Oh, and when you post on a talk page, don't forget to sign it using ~~~~. Cheers! -- Elinnea (talk) 13:02, 24 May 2017 (UTC)
There is something (probably inserted ads) on many of the pages that cause the page to be reloaded constantly. Occasionally the script seizes up, but always - always - if you wait long enough the whole browser (firefox) freezes and I have to use task manager to kill it. Please correct this in your pages to keeps the reloads from happening. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Sjj668 (Contribs • Message • Email) at 11:41, 11 June 2017.
- It would not be the first time that Ads have caused problems.
- Can you identify which ads are causing this. I have not encountered the problem -- although I use Safari on the Mac.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 15:59, 12 June 2017 (UTC)
I trapped scrpts from ad.lkqd.net and https://am.adlooxtracking.com. I doubt they're the only ones.
- One ad is definately Arbys. Piza slider.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 00:22, 16 June 2017 (UTC)
- The ad source is "Turn Ads" - www.turn.com - they appear to specialize in automated ads which constantly loop.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 11:57, 30 June 2017 (UTC)
- These ads are becoming more and more annoying. They severely impact the ability to edit pages as they keep changing page focus to display the ad.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 16:05, 6 July 2017 (UTC)
- None of these ads networks are showing up in the list to block. If you see this issue on Chrome, you can report the ads, but doesn't help with safari otherwise try to grab the URL and email it to me. Sadly I run three browsers, safari as my main with script and ad blockers enabled for annoying sites, firefox unmodified but removes cache on start up (useful to debug webpages) and finally chrome for the occasion use of flash (not much of a need anymore..) --Lotroadmin (talk) 00:17, 10 July 2017 (UTC)
Update 21: Mordor
- I have begun accumulating notes on the new expansion.
- The first pass goes live on Bullroarer late on Friday 23 June. It will apparently be active only over the weekend, i.e. through Monday, probably at 9 or 10 AM EDT.
- SSG is projecting/planning multiple weekend sessions, probably through the month of July. Nothing has been definately announced though. I.e. no release date yet.
Hacking by Kermit
Did we figure out how Kermit was able to get enough privilege to edit all the pages he/she defaced? Have we done anything to mitigate that vulnerability in the future? --Gaerlin (talk) 13:44, 11 July 2017 (UTC)
- All new users have the ability to edit pages. Pages can be protected to different levels, but that impacts normal new users as well. Incidents like this are rare, and usually taken care of pretty fast, so it's whether it's worth putting extra barriers in the way of normal use in order to prevent them. Most of the crucial pages/templates are already protected, so I would lean towards not needing a lot of extra protected pages. Amphoras () 14:20, 11 July 2017 (UTC)
- As one of two people over on the DDOwiki side, I've dealt with a lot of spam etc. I've found the best way to deal with this is with https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit for the first 50 edits until they get autoconfirmed or until an admin overrides the need for CAPTCHA by giving them a group (we use DDOwikiVIP, you'd probably use Ninjas [although you have some stuff in there many people in general shouldn't have access to in my opinion]). These are just my thoughts on the matter, and although we get a fair number of spam accounts, they rarely actually edit (create) a page, and almost never more than one. Technical 13 ( t | e | c | h ) 12:42, 13 July 2017 (UTC)
- One of the issues we have with editing spam is mostly the philosophy with mediawiki is to make it as easy as possible to edit and script away the spam. So there's not a lot of option we have to fight spam.
- brute force: both server side and a special page to black list key words (feel free to edit, but don't list the page here, it's an easy search to find it on mediawiki) -- Not the most friendly option either..
- user block: as soon as we notice a spammer, we need to block them ASAP.
- autoblock: once the user is blocked any IPs that account attempts to create will be blocked including other accounts hitting that IP address
- spam blacklist: mediawiki runs a blacklist of IP addresses that we utilize
- confirm edit - 'questy' - causes the user to answer a question on account creation, adding a URL and a few other triggers...
- page projection - critical pages and templates are all protected where you need certain rights to edit.
- This 'blocked' attack seems to have been two IP addresses one of which is a known spam address, but that IP address didn't do the edits.. I no longer have the logs for the kermit attack, but I will try to snag the IP address on the next attack to see if the locations are the same.
- It's interesting to see the spam change over the years too, early on it seemed to be all about websites getting better search rankings so having other higher rank sites link to them helps improve their rankings. The latest trend just to seems to be an exercise of fun or perhaps a government agency testing out a new bot before they unleash it elsewhere...just kidding.. --Lotroadmin (talk) 06:17, 18 July 2017 (UTC)
- One of the issues we have with editing spam is mostly the philosophy with mediawiki is to make it as easy as possible to edit and script away the spam. So there's not a lot of option we have to fight spam.
Sunflower Steed Revisions
I uploaded a screenshot during the Summer Festival: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/File:SunflowerSteed.jpg
Someone has attempted to overwrite the file with their own. I have reverted the changes twice and messaged the contributor, encouraging them to submit a second picture for the item page.
They claim the picture is somehow erroneous because it's a dwarf on a pony, not an elf on a horse. To me, it makes better sense to have the second picture, rather than overwriting mine. What can I do? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Fingeldor (Contribs • Message • Email) at 27 jul 2017.
- Just make two pictures, File:SunflowerSteed-Horse.jpg and File:SunflowerSteed-Pony.jpg and link both to the page. --Gaerlin (talk) 02:19, 27 July 2017 (UTC)
LOTRO-Wiki gets a shout out in the LOTRO Beacon #20
LOTRO-Wiki gets a shout out in the LOTRO Beacon #20: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-20
- "The LOTRO Wiki has been working hard to gather info for Mordor. [[Mordor|Click here]] to check it out!"
- BTW: Anybody heading in to Mordor, please help flesh-out the framework I've created. There is a lot of "stuff," but very little detail.
- Many quests in Udûn exist, but have not been completed yet.
- Similarly, most everything is still headed with the BETA tag. As you validate and/or update things, please remove those tags.
- If you are looking for Beta pages, remember they can be found at Category: Stubs/Beta
- Cool stuff! I prefer to go in dark, not knowing anything about Mordor until it's there to be experienced, so that's why I'm not helping out. Really appreciate everything you're doing for those that do like a sneak peek, though! And it's great to have the framework there so we can start perfecting things once Mordor is live. --Ravanel (talk) 10:38, 28 July 2017 (UTC)
- I've just gathered all new virtue values. :) --Gisel Avaleazar (talk) 10:45, 29 July 2017 (UTC)
Problem with updating image icon
I'm trying to fix the skill icon for Unerring Strike. For some reason it's showing the icon for Mighty Blow. When I upload the Unerring Strike image, something weird is happening. If you look at the history at https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/File:Unerring_Strike-icon.png, you can see that the latest version looks like Mighty Blow, even though I've uploaded the Unerring Strike image three times now. Unhelpfully, it is showing the correct icon in 2nd and 3rd items in the history, but if you revert to those versions, it continues to show the Mighty Blow icon for the current version. Strange? Thurallor (talk) 19:26, 29 July 2017 (UTC)
Page protection indicators:Technical 13 (Contribs • Message • Email) @ August 9, 2017, 5:53 PM (EDT):
“I have a question that you may know the answer to @Elinnea#7673 (Contribs • Message • Email) -- Does lotro-wiki have any page protection icons like enwp has the various coloured locks (<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Protection_policy>) and DDOwiki has various coloured die (<http://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_wiki:Protection_policy>)?Elinnea (Contribs • Message • Email) @ August 9, 2017, 5:56 PM (EDT):
If not, do you have a recommendation of what might be appropriate for lotro-wiki - if anything?”
“No, I don't know of anything to indicate a page's protection status visually Different colored rings does come to mind, if we wanted to have one...”Technical 13 (Contribs • Message • Email) @ August 9, 2017, 5:57 PM (EDT):
“I'd be happy to create the rings and get things set up, if we can put together a consensus to do this.”Elinnea (Contribs • Message • Email) @ August 9, 2017, 5:59 PM (EDT):
“You could start a discussion topic on the Contributor's Corner talk page, see if others have thoughts about it”
- Hm, those quotes take up rather a lot of space. As for the page protection icons, is there a need to indicate page protections visually? It doesn't seem like something that has people confused or asking questions, so I wonder what the purpose is. -- Elinnea (talk) 21:10, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
- Wondering the same as Elinnea. Generally speaking, I'd only add things if they are in demand. After all, the more buttons everywhere, the more cluttered pages will look, and the harder it will be for people to quickly find the info they need. --Ravanel (talk) 21:44, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
A big whoopsie. . .
In all of the excitement around the Release of Mordor, I seem to have neglected to update the Talk Pages Watch list.
Consequently, there are a bunch of pages that folks may or may not have seen befor, now on the "Recent Discussions" page.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 00:56, 12 August 2017 (UTC)