Talk:Lotro-Wiki Contributors' Corner
Welcome to the 2017 Talk Page of Contributors' Corner
- Here you can ask questions and/or discuss general issues concerning LotRO-Wiki.
- Discussions regarding a specific article should be directed to its talk page.
- Please remember to sign and date your post by typing -- ~~~~ (four tildes) or clicking the signature icon in the edit toolbar!
- Start new discussion!
LOTRO and DDO have been acquired by Standing Stone Games
LOTRO-wiki Disclaimer updated
- The Lotro-Wiki.com:General disclaimer and the Game_Terms#Legal for LOTRO-wiki has been updated to include the relevant information from our new Publisher: Daybreak Game Company LLC and Developer: Standing Stone Games.
- Here are the couple of logos and Icons which are new with the change in ownership.
- There are probably others that are also relevant that I have missed.
Orphaned Pages... that aren't orphaned?
- I think I get the idea behind Orphaned Pages - that they are stand-alone articles without links to or from other articles. If that is truly what the Orphaned Pages is supposed to show, then I am confused. Because looking at the first 50 items listed, 19 are creatures that have an appropriate link from their respective instance or skirmish page under the Mobs section, within an expandable listing. Admittedly, these creatures are not transcluded, but by being listed, aren't they being "linked from"? Or does the bot/script for determining orphan status not see all entries in an expandable list? If they are being "linked from" then doesn't that mean they do not meet the orphan criteria of being "not linked from"? Or has the convolutions of logic escaped me again? -- Squirmier (talk) 21:45, 7 January 2017 (UTC)
- I would assume that this is not a live page but one which needs to be refreshed from time to time and has simply become outdated. Somewhere like Wikipedia you might need to refresh this on a daily basis or more often, but on a small wiki like this it's needed rather less often. Someone with the appropriate permissions needs to trigger the script, I guess. —NotACat (talk) 09:18, 9 January 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks NotACat for your answer. I started to try and wrap my brain around so I saw "orphaned" from the other perspective (ie, glass half-full or empty, but with orphans!) and ummm... lets just say I encountered Rod Serling and he was intrigued. (O-o) ! -- Squirmier (talk) 13:17, 9 January 2017 (UTC)
- What I have noticed with orphans is that some are orphaned if the only links to the page are from categories. If you access them from a drop down list, that is probably from an embedded category list. I don't know whether a clean up process fixes these ones. Noddi (talk) 16:23, 9 January 2017 (UTC)
- Noddi, that seems to be exactly what I'm encountering. I'm not sufficiently versed in Categories and their edits to comfortably perform such changes. I'm more then a dabbler, but less then a dedicated editor; my "simple" edits take me at least a couple of hours to craft. So I try to raise questions and point out the tougher issues when I encounter them. Which, quite strangely, seems to be astoundingly often. -- Squirmier (talk) 13:14, 10 January 2017 (UTC)
- IMO, these false positives need to be addressed. They are wasting effort by misleading contributors to track down non-existent errors (3.5+ hours researching the issue before I started this thread). New contributors might get so annoyed they stop contributing altogether. Unless it would require extensive time & resources to correct, I cannot imagine why the status quo would be maintained. -- Squirmier (talk) 13:14, 10 January 2017 (UTC)
- Do you have a link to one example? The orphan maintence script found no incorrect orphan pages. Feel free to ask these types of questions on my talk page. --Lotroadmin (talk) 05:24, 21 January 2017 (UTC)
- I should point out that MediaWiki's defination of a orpahn page
- Sadly the categorytree doesn't count but there's been a few feature requests, but the sole response was it wasn't possible.
- An alternate approach is to focus on pages without categories. I will review the extensions to see if there's a way to build an alternate list of orphans without categories.. --Lotroadmin (talk) 05:59, 21 January 2017 (UTC)
- There are only 4 orphan pages without categories and i found those after creating a simple extension that i will enable after some more testing. With a newer version of MW, i will try to add a hidden category for all pages with category tree and craft another extension to find orphans without that tag on the page. --Lotroadmin (talk) 00:46, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
indexing multi-level items
While working through the low level vendor and intro items, I have found many items with a similar name but different levels. These are being created with "(Level xx)" in their Wiki page name. Over the years there have been several attempts to index these, usually involving the item name without the level indicator, and a manually added list of pages with similar names or some comment about there being multi levels. I have a proposal to organise these. For each multi level type, create a sub-category for that type (eg, Bear Knife items), as a sub page of the type of weapon category. (eg, Dagger items). Then in each weapon page use the additional 1st, 2nd... category pages to add the page to sub-category. For each group created, create or modify the generic item page (eg Bear Knife) to include the category tree, similar to what I did for beasts. This will automate the indexing of these multi-level items. Feasible? If interested I will set up Bear Knifes as an example. Noddi (talk) 02:59, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
- I'm for this change, setting it up like Category:Star-lit Crystals, and in turn Category:Legendary Items would be great for better organization, in my opinion. Balorgor (talk) 06:13, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
Standing Stone Interview with MMORPG.com - new details on Update 20
Originally posted by Fashero: On Update 20 We plan to release Update 20 around our anniversary, which will feature a region called the Wastes. Players will adventure through the bleak Noman Lands, face danger in Dagorlad, and travel to Mordor’s very Slag Hills. We will take players to the Battle at the Black Gate, which is Lord Aragorn’s last and desperate attempt to divert the Enemy from its true demise. We’ll have two capstone resource dungeons that can be played in both solo and fellowship modes in the Towers of the Teeth. Update 20 will also feature an expansion of our Flora system, reputation barter items, and more. On the Mordor Expansion We will be releasing a new Producer’s Letter shortly that will outline our plans for 2017, but we intend to release Update 20, then focus on our 10thAnniversary, prior to releasing the Mordor expansion for Update 21. We are aiming to have a new race, the High Elf, released with Update 21. Update 22 will round out the year, but at this point, we’ll keep its contents under wraps. We also want to update our character avatars to make them even better looking. On the game after Mordor We have a rich trove of lore to mine from the books, so finding things to develop is sort of the easy part! Our team has been progressing our Epic Story at a steady pace, so the path of the Epic Story serves as a good place to start when deciding where to develop next. We typically look at where we are, where we are going, and what is the most exciting way for both us and players to get there. For a long time our community has been able to follow the path of the characters and events that Tolkien wrote, but soon we will begin focusing on adventures that lie beyond the War of the Ring, with Aragorn seated upon the Throne of Gondor. New heroes will need to take up the mantle, and those heroes will be the players.
Update 20 now up on Bullroarer
Lots of new stuff - -
Just the first couple of things from the Release notes: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?651783-Bullroarer-Update-20-Preview-and-Release-Notes
- The world has a new area, "The Wastes" with 3 new regions: Noman-lands, Dagorlad, and the Slag-hills. You can access this area and start the new quest content in the Camp of the Host.
- Two new resource dungeons: After completing the required quests, you can enter solo versions of Skoironk and Carchost using the doors found in the Slag Hills. For the fellowship versions of the dungeons you will need to speak to nearby npcs after completing the fellowship quests.
- Four more custom tabs have been added to the chat panel. Chat tabs are now allowed to display across two rows at the top of the Chat window.
- New crafting recipes for endgame tokens: Two Host of the West recipes have been added to the Anorien crafting tier for each profession (Cook, Jeweller, Metalsmith, Scholar, Tailor, Weaponsmith, and Woodworker). You can also acquire 2 additional recipes per profession via rep barter, and there is a 1-shot recipe that drops for each profession.
Renaming the page
I've done a mistake while creating a page
Pelennor Essence of Morale. Actually it should be Item:Pelennor Essence of Morale page. Could someone with appropriate rights fix it? Thank you. --Phindecano (talk) 04:04, 6 March 2017 (UTC)
- Sure thing, I just moved it. Thank you for contributing to the wiki! Balorgor (talk) 06:13, 6 March 2017 (UTC)
- I've been creating random pages as I've been exploring U20. . .
- Which is very much full of placeholders for many things - like the different thing you can barter for
- Consequently many of those things are very much arbitrary in what I've created so far and will need to be checked and re-verified as builds progress.
- Trying to sort out how they are dealing with the Crafting Recipies is one such area.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 21:07, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
U20 Relase -- apparently to be "next week"
Cordovan announced on March 14:
- We are tentatively planning to release U20 next week, if everything this week falls into place.
LOTRO Beacon #5 - a shout-out to the WIKI
- "We wanted to give a shout-out to one of LOTRO's most important player resources this week - The LOTRO Wiki! This has been the go-to place for people to get info on the game for years now, and we all appreciate it. Click here to visit the Wiki."
The LOTRO Beacon: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-5
It's April -- the 10th Anniversary is coming! - 4/20 10AM
The 10th Anniversary date is April 24th!
The event itself is scheduled to start 4/20/17@10am and end at 5/9/17@3am.
"There is also a specific 10th Anniversary-related event that is not yet on the calendar... "
Hi, I'm new to lotro-Wiki.com! I have started updating with all the housing changes with the new slot counts. I will also eventually be adding the new housing tool and how to use it. Please let me know if there is any feedback or anything in particular you (admins & leaders) would like me to work on. Thanks! —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Knight7671 (Contribs • Message • Email) at 23 May 2017.
- Welcome, and thanks for jumping in. The housing pages can certainly use updating, so feel free to make changes wherever you see inaccuracies or room for improvement. Oh, and when you post on a talk page, don't forget to sign it using ~~~~. Cheers! -- Elinnea (talk) 13:02, 24 May 2017 (UTC)
There is something (probably inserted ads) on many of the pages that cause the page to be reloaded constantly. Occasionally the script seizes up, but always - always - if you wait long enough the whole browser (firefox) freezes and I have to use task manager to kill it. Please correct this in your pages to keeps the reloads from happening. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Sjj668 (Contribs • Message • Email) at 11:41, 11 June 2017.
- It would not be the first time that Ads have caused problems.
- Can you identify which ads are causing this. I have not encountered the problem -- although I use Safari on the Mac.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 15:59, 12 June 2017 (UTC)
I trapped scrpts from ad.lkqd.net and https://am.adlooxtracking.com. I doubt they're the only ones.
Update 21: Mordor
- I have begun accumulating notes on the new expansion.
- The first pass goes live on Bullroarer late on Friday 23 June. It will apparently be active only over the weekend, i.e. through Monday, probably at 9 or 10 AM EDT.
- SSG is projecting/planning multiple weekend sessions, probably through the month of July. Nothing has been definately announced though. I.e. no release date yet.