Social Talk:List of Guides
This link under Crafting Guides, "LotRO Crafting Guide - The unofficial Lord of the Rings Online crafting guide in case you don't use any bots in the game." links to a LOTRO cheats and bots site. Does it belong here?
- Deleted link. Rogue 07:34, 25 March 2010 (UTC)
Why are 4 of the 7 class guide links to sites advertising to buy a guide? Doesn't really belong does it?
- Digital21 08:10, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- I was asked to revert changes. The reasoning is this. The person whose site the ebooks belong asked if they could be posted. There's no harm in the sites, they were checked. As long as they are not gold related farming/selling I personally see no harm. This list was generated as links to other guides, not our own. If you want that then check out Game Guides. Rogue 15:21, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- Well its not my show so I can't argue. I think, for the reader's sake that at least it should be noted with the link that its to a seller's site, even if it's legitimate. And/Or a description at the top explaining this list is to outside guides and that some are pay sites. Just my opinion, I just don't like the idea of it appearing as a free-access guide, I feel its misleading. Oh, another thing. Shouldn't Game_Guide:Burglar be linked to that page you listed above? There might be quite a few pages like that. Digital21 16:16, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
Some of the guides in this list and the list as a whole look outdated to me. I think it's pointless to have such things as a radiance guide in the list. I'm still not very familiar with the game so there's nothing I can do about that.
- ... and I thought I was the only crazy editor around!! :)
- There will be many more dead links happening in about 2 weeks when the Lorebook is removed from existence. (Currently expected for the end of July.)
- At that point there will be a separate Forum thread (forums.lotro.com) which will contain user created guides.
- I will also check -- there is a bot function to check on the status of links. However, I don't know if it only works with Wikipedia links or will work with URL links. I also don't know if that script will work with a MediaWiki (i.e. ours). I'm just barely able to run a bot at the moment, in that I've only been playing with them for about a week, and don't speak Python... I was thinking about the link checker, but wasn't going to worry about it until after the Lorebook shut down, as I knew there would be A LOT of Lorebook links that would die at that time.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 19:30, 17 July 2013 (EDT)
I found a series of video guides on YouTube. Spot for those here or somewhere else? It is playlist with multiple oneshot guides though (i.e races, classes, stats, etc.) —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Vidwebsourcer (Contribs • User Talk • Email) at 15:16, 10 June 2015.
- I would simply create a new category (heading) on the page and list them there.
- Keep in mind that it is NOT possible to imbed things like YouTube videos on pages of the WIKI. All that you can do is to create links to them.
- There is also a restriction on who and where external links can be created. (Off-hand I do not know the restriction.)
- This is because the WIKI is guarding against SPAM/Virus/Malware, etc. all of which frequently use URLs as "vectors" to infect individual's computers.
- For what it's worth -- I have never found "YouTube playlists" to work as expected. They are constantly being changed by unknown factors, and frequently are corrupted by "other stuff" than what was in the original playlist. This appears to be especially true any time you actually view and entry in that playlist -- it is removed and replaced by something else.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 15:43, 13 June 2015 (UTC)
Reverted most recent edit
A link was removed from the page that I found was working correctly. If there was a reason for removing it, please state it here and remove it again. Sorry for the inconvenience in that case ^^