- Revival is the partial restoration of Morale and Power to a defeated ally. Also knows as "Res or Rez (short for Resurrection).
- When defeated, the character has 600 seconds to be revived in-place. Other players (and a few NPC's) can revive a defeated character, and a player may sometimes revive his/her own character. When the timer expires, the character is automatically transported to the nearest Rally Point and revived there. A character may also choose to Retreat, which will have the same effect without waiting for the 600-second timer.
- Minstrels, Rune-keepers, Lore-masters, Captains and Beornings are the only classes that have the ability to revive other players.
- A character may have another option to revive him/herself, but this option has a long cooldown. The length of this cooldown increases with level; the longest cooldown is 2 hours. If a character's own Revive option is on cooldown, Mithril Coins can be spent to reactivate it.
- Revive is generally not available inside an Instance, even if it's off cooldown. Retreat or revival by another player are the only options.
- A character that revives him/herself appears on the spot where he/she was defeated with very little Morale. As such, it is advantageous to ensure the area is safe before reviving.
- When other players revive a defeated character, the revived character appears where the other player's character was standing when the revival skill was used.
- Although all of these abilities 'revive' a player from defeat instead of 'resurrecting' them, the term 'Res' is still often used in Chat due to its common usage in other video games.
- Most Revive skills require a non-combat situation for use.
- Different classes obtain in-combat revive skills at different levels and requirements.
- Revival has the primary benefit that the ally does not have to Retreat.
- A Rez'd ally will not get all of his/her Morale/Power back, and will have to use other means to recover them.
- Reviving oneself has a cooldown that increases with your level, with two hours being the maximum amount.
- Mithril Coins can also be expended to activate the "Revive" option if your "free revive" cooldown timer has not yet reset.
- In the first few levels, there is no penalty for retreating. In later levels, retreating causes your abilities to be somewhat impaired for several minutes and damages your equipment.
- Keep in mind that when you revive you revive where you were defeated, you have very little Morale or Power and can easily be defeated again immediately!
- On revival, Wardens exhibit the effect " ' for 30 seconds after revival. This is necessary to activate their skill .
- A wide variety of potions, scrolls and the like can be purchased from the LOTRO store (some may occasionally be found in-game in Loot-boxes or received as Lottery prizes) to mitigate the various effects of Defeat.