Quest Talk:Instance: In the Presence of Saruman
I have a question on this one. It's been pointed out elsewhere that this quest has slightly different content relating to LMs/Burgs. Would it be right to add the difference into the quest text with a note at the relevant time? Is there a specific way we'd go about doing that? Iorothiel (talk) 04:53, 16 September 2012 (EDT)
- That depends more on how "intrusive" the differences are. Look at Quest:A Pressing Matter and see that it comprises all classes, but that quest is pretty much the odd ball. Look at the end of Quest:Intro: The Footprints of Blood and see another variation which is a lot less intrusive but yet includes the differences. For other quests we have added the variations, either within the walk-through (if they are nor too large) or topmost at the talk-page and linked to from the walk-through (I believe it is appropriate to have a very small note in italic in place of the difference within the quest text. However, we do not (yet) have a solid policy on how to convey the differences but make it look the best from case to case.
- The problem is the neverending "war" between completeness and easy-to-read-and-understand (which I call neatness). Sometimes the two work well together, or at least they do not outdo one another. Other times the completeness faction takes too much place and it is impossible to navigate through the text to follow a storyline.
-- Zimoon (talk) 07:02, 16 September 2012 (EDT)
- I've played through both, they both have a small side-jaunt right before the talk/resist phase with a bit of extra dialogue. The instance proceeds as normal afterward. It's big enough to notice (as in, it nearly scared the pants off me) but it's not a big change in the story. Iorothiel (talk) 07:52, 16 September 2012 (EDT)
- When I said "big" or "intrusive" I meant on how much it disturbed the quest-text at the wiki. If it is as small as the differing part of Quest:Intro: The Footprints of Blood there is no problem displaying both. Otherwise, add a pointer and display the difference in the walk-through or the talk-page. To me it sounds like it is worth capturing as it is helpful to know, for those who reads up beforehand (like I often do). -- Zimoon (talk) 15:04, 16 September 2012 (EDT)
- Definitely, the variation should be captured here, and I'm glad you pointed it out. If nothing else, it's interesting for all of us who don't have LMs or Burgs at high levels to do this quest and see what happens.
- I'm curious whether any of the objectives change for those particular classes. Without knowing how much text is involved in their detour section of the instance, I would probably format it as a note in italics at the relevant section, and then put the extra content in the Walkthrough & Notes section. But sure enough, we have no standard policy. Go for readability and use common sense, those are the guidelines at the moment. -- Elinnea (talk) 16:33, 16 September 2012 (EDT)