Quest Talk:Chronicle: The Fall of Moria
This quest claims to start Instance: The Fall of Moria.
However, that instance is part of Epic quests. How are this quest connected to that one, if it is? It could be if Chronicle of Events was some kind of reflecting pool ;) But as I do not know I ask. -- Zimoon (talk) 11:39, 14 April 2012 (EDT)
- That's essentially what the Chronicle is. It lets you repeat epic quests from Volume II, so by reading the Chronicle you get to revisit the past you have already experienced through session play. At one point I meant to document it better, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. -- Elinnea (talk) 12:02, 14 April 2012 (EDT)
- Actually, it allows you to repeat 3 Session play "quests" that I know of. (I have not done all of the Books so I don't know if there are others. However, it apparently only offers EPIC replays. I believe this replaces at least one NPC that existed in the 21st hall for a time (He's not there now for me.)
- I created an "Item:Chronicle of Events" ... don't know if it should BE an Item or what it should be. It is something you have to click on to access the content and then it just gives you the 3 quest lines. At the moment, the page includes those references to the sessions, etc.
- This particular quest: (Fall of Moria) has had at least 2 other NPCs provide it in the past. I have no idea who/where this "(Sandar)" NPC comes from. The origial NPC, and as far as I know is still there, is Outside the entrance to the walls of Moria in Nan Sirannon (Ráthwald). It is possible that this Sandar (Eregion) gives this quest so you don't have to do it later from Ráthwald. I haven't done the Expedition quest he gives since the first release of Moria. I have taken to skipping it as I usually solo the Walls of Moria line.
- Thanks a lot, Magill. If it is almost equivalent to Reflecting Pool it should not be an Item:.. but perhaps we should just have a redirect, update the Reflecting Pool page with a section that tells about this item as well? But I am now moving/adding this discussion to Item:Chronicle of Events as it does not belong here :)
- -- Zimoon (talk) 05:11, 15 April 2012 (EDT)
Reflecting pool vs Chronicle
The difference between the Chronicle of Events and a Reflecting pool (at least at this stage in LOTRO's life) is that a Reflecting pool allows you to participate again in a quest -- including the possibility of certain rewards and experience gains; the Chronicle is limited to allowing you to re-run "Sessions." In "Sessions," you are completely constrained -- the main thing is that you are not playing your character, but some other "historical" character. At this time (Update 6.1) the Chronicle is limited to only 3 EPIC based Session Play "things." There are a couple of others that one might expect Turbine to add in the future -- Volume III, Book 3 Chapter 2: At the Stone of Erech -- comes immediately to mind. (And while the title implies "all of Middle Earth" so far what has been made available is quite small.
Guess I have to pick one of my toons and run all of the EPIC quests to see what comes up. I should also check with a toon that has only done ONE of the sessions. Definitely true that my lvl 43 hunter cannot interact with the Chronicle Also true, my lvl 62, who has not done ANY of volume III gets only the two from Volume II.
- That one, the merger, looks great. I leave it to you or others to decide whatever to do. Perhaps it should have its own page (not Item though, as it is more about its service than the object) and parts of it being transcluded? Whatever makes most sense I guess. -- Zimoon (talk) 13:30, 15 April 2012 (EDT)
- Actually on my main the Chronicle offers eight different instances, all session play. I'll add them as quests modeled on the one we have already.
- It doesn't make sense to me that all the Chronicle of Events information would be on the Reflecting Pool page. They sort of serve similar purposes, but they are different objects so why not be on its own page? It makes it seem like the Chronicle is a sub-type of all Reflecting Pools, which isn't exactly true. I would prefer to separate Reflecting Pool and Chronicle of Events, with a "See Also: Chronicle of Events" at the bottom of the the Reflecting Pool page (and vice versa) to interlink them. -- Elinnea (talk) 14:34, 15 April 2012 (EDT)
Just remembered to look, Bullroarer is still up, 8 Sessions available... that's the only toon I've done the entire epic line on, via "the cats."
I've split the Chronicle of Events out to its own page. Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC (talk) 17:22, 15 April 2012 (EDT) Aha... also via Bullroarer, found the ?original? source of the Fall of Moria quest. "Skygni is in the Twenty-first Hall in Moria." So it looks like there are probably 3 Dwarves telling the tale. Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC (talk) 17:35, 15 April 2012 (EDT)
- It looks good to me like that!