The North Downs
The North Downs is located between Bree-land, Evendim, and Angmar, at the northern end of the ancient North-South Road. For more than a thousand years no king has ruled from Fornost and the common people have stood caught between the somewhat noble age in the west and the accursed Angmar in the north-east.
Little is said about the North Downs but it has always been the realm of noble Men of Arnor. It is always mentioned as lesser than Evendim and as the darker contrast to Gondor, connected to the struggles with the nearby Angmar and its Witch-king.
The hidden fortress of Esteldín serves as the capital of the North Downs, being the headquarters of the Rangers under Halbarad's command, kinsman of Aragorn. Recently the town of Trestlebridge was under a fierce attack by grim orcs, but this turned out to be only a spur while the Enemy overran Fornost, Dol Dínen, and other long since unused ruins. Elves have always upheld a refuge in Lin Giliath and dwarves have mined silver in Othrikar, where we meet the legendary Gildor Inglorion and Dori respectively.
- Levels: 21-42
- Faction: Rangers of Esteldín
- Introduced: The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, April 2007
- Quest Pack: Quest Pack:North Downs or Quest Pack:Eriador Bundle
Of the earliest history little is known but that in the first millennium of the Second Age many Númenóreans lived there; how many and how widespread is unknown. Arnor was founded by Elendil in II 3320 but the North Downs remained less important during this period. After many unfortunate centuries the 10th High King, Eärendur, died in III 861 and Arnor was torn in three by his sons.
Out of Arnor Arthedain was founded by Amlaith, the eldest son and he moved from Annúminas in Evendim and made Fornost the capital city; eventually the North Downs saw some glory. Six hundred years later the Witch-king attacked Fornost, after his victory in the Lone-lands, but failed. Yet again, five hundred years later (III 1974) his forces out of Angmar managed to capture Fornost, but only for a year until an army of Gondor defeated his numbers, but the Witch-king escaped.
At the capture of Fornost King Arvedui fled to Forochel but died in the ice masses. The North-kingdom ended and the North Downs was destitute and spent. However, out of the ruins the Rangers of the North was founded by Arvedui's eldest son, Aranarth, who became Chieftain of the Dúnedain. Today the North Downs hosts these Rangers at Esteldín, while Aragorn, their 16th Chieftain, follows a well known hobbit at a very secret quest in the east.
- Esteldín, the hidden refuge of the Rangers, skirmish camp, superior service and craft centres
- Trestlebridge, outfitter, vendors, provisions and craft-faire
Villages & Outposts
Points of Interest
- Quests: mainly 32 - 37 - Fellowship
- Stable-master, Mailbox, Milestone, Reflecting Pool, Skirmish Camp
- Vault, Bard, Class Trainers, Grocer Healer, Provisioner, Tasks Bulletin Board, armour and weapon vendors
- Craft-hall of Esteldín, Campfires, Forge, Oven, Superior Workbench, and Expert trainers
- Crafting Guilds: Jeweller's Guild, Tailor's Guild, Woodworker's Guild
- Factions: Rangers of Esteldín
- Quests: mainly 25 - 42
- Free Peoples' Camp
- Quests: mainly 25 - 35, fellowship, also level 41 quests for Fornost
- Camp Site Fire
- Dungeons: Wraith of Water, Earth, Fire, and Shadow
- Quests: mainly 36 - 41, fellowship
- Camp Site Fire
- Quests: mainly 25 - 30
- Outpost: Lin Giliath
- Quests: mainly 26 - 35
- Quests: mainly 31 - 35
- Outpost: Othrikar
- Quests: mainly 28 - 35
- Camp Site Fire
- Quests: mainly 25 - 32
- Dungeon: Etten Caves
- Quests: mainly 28 - 30
- Stable-master, Milestone, Mailbox, Reflecting Pool, Tasks Bulletin Board
- Outfitter, Healer, Grocer, Provisioner, armour and weapon vendors
- Crafting: Forge, Oven, Workbench, Supplier and trainers
- Quests: mainly 21 - 25
- Journeyman Tier 2: Annúndir, Greenway
- Mass Resource Area: The North Downs in Nan Wathren for Barrow-iron Deposit, Silver Deposit and Ash Branches
- Expert: Dol Dínen, Fields of Fornost, Kingsfell, Meluinen, Nan Amlug East, Nan Amlug West, Nan Wathren, Rhunenlad, Taur Gonwaith
Named Creatures Shard Collectors List
Each of these creatures is the rare, signature, tougher, named version and all have a high chance to drop a rare shard used in crafting.
|The North Downs :|
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The North Downs|
|Settlements:||Esteldín • Treasure Hunters' Camp • Lin Giliath • Othrikar • Trestlebridge|
|Areas:||Annúndir • Dol Dínen • Fields of Fornost • Fornost • Greenway • Kingsfell • Meluinen • Nan Amlug East • Nan Amlug West • Nan Wathren • Rhunenlad • Taur Gonwaith|
|Landmarks:||Amlaith's Scar • Amon Amrûn • Amon Raith • Barad Eithel • Barad Harn • Barad Narthan • Dol Nendír • Etten Caves • The Evendim Gate • Falconer's Tower • Fashat Laug • Gatson's Farm • Gatson's South Fields • Glírost • Gurzlum • Haudh Eglan • Hîgropor • Hîsuk • Hrizgur • Kamskut • Kar Lak • Merenost • Minas Vrûn • Mincham's Camp • Nan Wathren Eastern Pass • Nan Wathren Western Pass • Nathan Hodge's Farm • Norbury Gates • Ost Crithlanc • Ost Galumar • Ost Lagoros • Ost Nuaran • Rusfold • Skirmish Camp • The Snares • Stoneheight • Tham Lorn • Thurûm • Trestlebridge Gate • The Trestlespan • Tûmat • William Peake's Farm|
|Regions of Eriador|
|Angmar • Bree-land • Dunland (Gap of Rohan • Nan Curunír) • Enedwaith • Ered Luin • Eregion • Ettenmoors • Evendim • Forochel • The Lone-lands • The Misty Mountains • The North Downs • The Shire • The Trollshaws|