|Middle-earth: Starter Area, Lands, Regions, Areas, Settlements, Landmarks, Maps|
Middle-earth is the continent upon which J. R. R. Tolkien's books, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, take place. In Lord of the Rings Online players enter Tolkien's world in western Eriador. Elf and dwarf characters arrive in the Starter Area of Thorin's Gate, while hobbits and men begin in Archet. After completing the Introduction Quests in the Starter Areas, each race arrives in a different location of Middle-earth:
- dwarves arrive in Thorin's Gate to the northwest of Ered Luin
- elves arrive near Celondim in southern Ered Luin
- hobbits arrive in Little Delving to the west of The Shire
- men arrive in Archet near the center of Bree-land
Players then begin their journey through Middle-earth by completing quests and defeating creatures. Players can follow the main storyline of Lord of the Rings Online by completing the Prologue Quests, which are unique for each race. Upon completion of the Prologue Quests, all players can continue the line of Epic Quests. New Epic Quests are periodically added to the game via patches, called "Books".
Locations within Middle-earth are subdivided for easier navigation:
- Middle-earth -- the continent containing the lands of Lord of the Rings Online
- Lands -- the only accessible lands are Eriador and Rhovanion
- Regions -- lands divided into zones (all regions)
- Areas -- regions divided into subzones (all areas)
- Settlements -- cities, villages and camps (all settlements)
- Landmarks -- points of interest (all landmarks)
Maps are available to aid players navigating the landscapes of Middle-earth. The default key to display the map in-game is M. Maps can be customized via drop-down menus to show various services such as stable-masters, milestones and vendors as well as landmarks. Players can learn the exact coordinates of these items by moving the mouse over the icon on the map. The coordinates are displayed with a number for North/South and East/West. Coordinates are displayed a similar format throughout this wiki using the Tooltip Coords template.
- For more information about coordinates, see Locations.
For more detail, see Creatures
Throughout Middle-earth you will find many different types of enemies, ranging the gamut from humans to creatures and even monsters.
A full listing of creatures organized by area can be found at the Creature locations page.
For more detail, see Quests
For those who adventure and live within the world of Lord of the Rings Online, Quests are an essential part of leveling as well as what keeps us interested. The Epic story-line follows the "fellowship" throughout the story and in our own special way help behind the scenes. This aspect is what makes this game unique to those who love the Lord of the Rings.
For more details, see Instances
An Instance is a separate copy of a building's interior, a dungeon, or some piece of the game's landscape. Instances are created when certain quests are activated or players pass through an instance portal, and allow an individual, Fellowship or Raid to participate in a private adventure. Generally, instances can only be entered by the individual or group that triggered them, and no outside help can be rendered to those within an instance by other adventurers.
- "Middle-earth" is a literal translation of the Old English term Middangeard, referring to this world, the habitable lands of men. Tolkien translated "Middle-earth" as Endor (or sometimes Endóre) and Ennor in the Elvish languages Quenya and Sindarin, respectively. The north of Endor became the Eurasian land-mass after the primitive Earth was transformed into the round world of today. (Source: lotr.wikia.com)
|Lands of Middle-Earth|
|Eriador • Rhovanion|