- Mailboxes are commonly found in all major cities and towns and are used to exchange news, items and money between different players. You may have up to 100 items in your mailbox. It is not possible to send mail to yourself, although mail can be sent between alternate characters on the same account.
- Mail can NOT be sent between characters on different servers, even if the characters belong to the same account.
- By using a mailbox and clicking the Compose Mail button, one can compose a letter and send it to another character for the fee of 50 copper.
- When you begin typing the recipient's name into the "To:" field, it will "auto-fill" with the name of any member of your Kinship or anyone on your "Friends" list (Social Panel) who matches the string you have typed . Simply hit return to accept the suggestion, or highlight the name you desire and hit return, or simply continue typing then move to the next field.
- For an additional fee, it is also possible to attach an item (by dragging it from inventory onto the mail window) or any amount of money (by typing the desired amount into the boxes provided at the bottom of the mail window). This mail will arrive instantly and the receiving player can read it and/or claim any sent items by visiting any mailbox in the game.
- With Update 13: The Breaking of Isengard, all players can now send up to 10 items at one time. Any quantity up to a stack may be attached in each slot. For example, a stack of 20 Refined Fire-oil would be considered a single item in the mail.
- Postage is calculated depending on the rarity of the item. Common items are 10% of the item's value, uncommon and rare 20%, incomparable and legendary are 30%.
- It is also possible to send an item via COD (cash on delivery) by clicking the checkbox in the mail window and entering a desired payment amount. When the recipient opens the mail, they will see a popup box explaining that the item was sent via COD, and must choose either to pay the requested amount or return the mail to the sender. It should be noted that this is not free for the sender; a nominal fee will always be charged when sending mail.
- With Update 13: The Breaking of Isengard, VIP players can now access mail in two ways -- ANYWHERE in Middle Earth!
- If you RECEIVE mail, your Alert box will have a New Mail indicator. VIP players can click on that entry and open the mail window at any time.
- VIP players can also open a Mail window to SEND mail by using the "Options" pop-up (gold chevron) at the left end of your toolbar. Mouse over "Social" and click on Mailbox!
- Any mail sent to your character by another will appear instantly in your mailbox once it is sent. When you have unopened mail waiting for you in your mailbox, an icon will appear in the lower right corner of the screen (in the Alert Panel) informing you. Items won or money made at auction and unsold items arrive in the same way.
- Mail that is text only can be deleted from the inbox screen without ever being read. However, mail that contains money or items cannot be deleted until the money or items have been detached from that mail. Items that are sent COD may not be opened and collected if the recipient does not have enough cash on hand to pay the fee.
- Items in mail that aren't collected within 2 weeks (if unopened) or 2 days (if opened) are returned to the sender.
- Mail that has been returned to the sender is then subject to an additional two-week timer. If the returned mail remains unopened for 2 weeks, at the end of the 14th day it will simply disappear from the inbox, along with any attached items. Similarly, if a "returned to sender" mail is opened, the opened mail is subject to the two-day timer. At the end of the second day, the mail will disappear; if an item attached to the email was not removed to inventory when the mail was opened 2 days prior, that item will disappear.
- There is a button that can be used to report the senders of unsolicited mail messages as spammers.
|The Great River||Aculf's Camp||Rushgore|
|The Cuthstan||Wailing Hills|
|Lothlórien||Caras Galadhon||Outside gate|
|Inner Caras Galadhon|| Telain Galadhrim: |
Inside Auction House, Vault,
|Cirin-en-Galadh (Cerin Amroth)|
|The Haunted Inn|
|Chamber of the Crossroads|
|The Tharâkh Bazân camp||None|
|The Door to the Clouds||None|
|The Fanged Pit camp||None|
|The Rotting Cellar|
|The East Wall||None|
|The Wold||Langhold||near the front gate|
|near the Harwick gate|
|Harwick||adjacent to North East entrance and stable master|
|adjacent to South East Entrance|
|Sutcrofts||Garsfeld||a mailbox is also located inside the Mead Hall|
|Hytbold||Requires The Mead Hall: Outdoor Enhancements II|
|Snowbourn||inside the Craft Hall|
|inside the Auction Hall|
|Entwash Vale||Eaworth||adjacent to the Mead Hall entrance|
|Eaves of Fangorn||None|
|inside the Mead Hall|
|inside Aldburg Auction Hall|
|inside Aldburg Crafting Hall|
|Kingstead||Edoras||Main Entrance Courtyard|
|East Gate area|