| "The three of you are hereby banished from Edoras." - Gríma Wormtongue
Due to ongoing changes in-game, this page is now obsolete.
The Lottery system is no longer in use. Instead, there are Hobbit Presents.
LOTRO Lottery was exactly what it says, a lottery within the LOTRO community where characters could win prizes of varied value or usefulness, determined by the player's preferences.
- The PC used to support the Lottery system was destroyed in a power surge during a major electrical storm in Boston in 2013. Turbine's entire data center was knocked off-line, UPS systems and all! It was all recovered except for the PC running the Lottery system. Subsequent discussions within Turbine have never allocated resources (Developer time) to re-codding the Lottery system, the original programmer having previously departed.
Typical prizes were cash, healing potions, armaments, special pipe-weed and fireworks, new LOTRO store items, etc. The more valuable and rare wins included special mounts, rare armaments, relics, unique class quest items, etc. Some prizes were bound to character or account, but many prizes were unbound.
When a lottery awarded a currency prize, the size and type of the prize was level dependent. Not every lottery had a currency prize, and the types of currency prizes varied. The following table shows the typical sizes of the prizes awarded to characters in different level ranges.
|Level Range||Cash Prize||Marks||Mediallions||Seals||Shards|
|12 - 20||75|
|21 - 26||100||125|
|27 - 29||200||125||45|
|30 - 35||250||125||45|
|42 - 47||300||125|
|48 - 50||350||125||45||125|
|53 - 54||400||45||3|
Playing the Lottery
Lotteries were free to enter for all players in good standing. Players could enter the drawing at this page, where you could select which characters should enter each lottery. (You needed to be logged in to the forums to participate.)
Some lotteries were restricted to characters of certain levels, classes or servers. You were not be able to enter a lottery for which your character was not eligible. Players who had not completed the introduction could enter lotteries.
Each lottery had a stated draw date and time and was usually open for a few days. "Flash lotteries" were announced on Twitter and had a short duration between announcement and the draw. Some unannounced special event lotteries also had a short duration.
The lotteries you had entered were listed on the lottery page.
If your characters gained levels after entering the lottery and as a result were eligible for a new lottery draw, you had to enter them again. They could not win a lottery for which they were no longer eligible. There was a short delay after levelling a character in-game, before the lottery site was notified of the level change.
Winners were notified with an in-game mail containing the prizes. (As usual, this mail had to be collected within two weeks of the draw, or the prize was lost.) Your winning characters were listed at the lottery page itself. The lottery page listed winners soon after the drawing. The delivery of prizes by mail could be delayed by a few hours.
Prizes were generally useful for characters in the eligible level range or class, although a character could win unusable items. As most prizes were bind on equip, you could share them with other characters and players. Mount skills were bind on acquire, so duplicates had to be discarded.
Winning players who had not completed the introduction were not be able to collect their prizes until they had completed the introduction, and could visit a mailbox.
Prizes often had different stats than current in-game items, possibly due to item versioning. Sometimes the name of the prize listed for the lottery was incorrect, or out of date, or was a store name instead of the game name.
These lotteries occurred twice every week, with drawings on Wednesday and Sunday.
- Welcome Wagon Lottery (level 10-19)
- Lottery of the Free Peoples (level 20-29)
- Lottery of Arnor (level 30-39)
- Lottery of the Northlands (level 40-49)
- Lottery of the Depths (level 50-59)
- Lottery of Rhovanion (level 60-69)
- Lottery of Angrenost (level 70-79)
- Lottery of The Mark (level 80-85)
Other lotteries often appeared during festivals and other special events, including both game and real life events. The prizes often related to the event in question. When a new LOTRO store steed was released, sometimes lotteries were released in which you could win the steed.
The following contains some considerations and tips concerning the lottery from LOTRO wiki contributors. They are subjective of nature rather than factual.
Should you bother? Or not?
- A personal comment: No prizes are useless or utter jokes, but the usefulness and value depends on the player, not on the prizes as such. A player who is not interested in RP is probably less interested in pipe-weed, and a player who already has one of the best mounts naturally cares less about yet another steed, etc. Anybody can play Lotro and having a blast without ever entering the lottery, but those that do perhaps add a silver line to the fun. — User:Zimoon
Enter every lottery
- You will win cash and more potions than you can use, but the rare items for legendary weapon crafting and class quests have great value — User:RingTailCat
Consider not entering every character blindly
- To quote Sapience: "The lottery system is closer to a raffle or sweepstakes than a true lottery. As a result there is no provision for first, second, or other places. Lotteries are created with a set number of winners per world and those winners are chosen from all of the characters entered into that lottery." 
- This means that every character entered reduces the chances for others to win. If you have alts you never play, or characters who have no use for a special prize (they already own the mount, for example), consider unchecking them from the entry list, so you don't take a prize away from someone else who will really use it. — User:Elinnea
- There is really no point in not entering, as it only takes a few clicks. It doesn't cost anything more than a few moments of your time, and can give you excllent rewards. — User:Candlelight
It's the Big Things...
- "Lately, LotRO has been making good use of their Lottery system by giving away BIG prizes like Helm's Deep Premium Keys (one lottery for each server)! By entering, you have a small chance to win for each Lottery, and they have been doing more than one Lottery for these keys!" --User:Super3588