The valley was blocked over its entire width by the natural series of hills called Helm's Dike and behind that lay the fortress of Aglarond or the Hornburg, at the entrance to the Glittering Caves. Atop the Hornburg there was a great tower, the top of which consisted of the great horn of Helm Hammerhand. The Deep, which stood next to the fortress, was barred by the long Deeping Wall, which consisted of solid rock except for a small culvert which allowed water from the Deeping Stream to enter; this rendered a fresh supply in sieges of great length.
Helm's Deep was the largest fortress of Rohan, where the guards of the Fords of Isen lived. Originally named Aglarond, it was, with Angrenost (Isengard), one of two Gondorian strongholds built to guard the Fords of Isen.
- Helm's Deep has multiple presentations -- "Before Midnight," "After Midnight," "Before Dawn," and "Sunrise". While these four presentations are visually identical, the game mechanics require that they each have unique "maps" (coordinates) to locate objects and individuals.
- One begins the Epic Battles portion of Vol. III. Book 13, Chapter 3, Night Depens, by clicking on the map table -- "After Midnight" to time shift and begin the Epic Quest sequences. To return to the normal game world, click on the Grain Sacks - "Helm's Deep, before Midnight."
- Map: EB-Helm's Deep
- Before Dawn: The "tipped barrel" will allow time to pass to begin Vol. III. Book 13, Chapter 7, Defending the Deep
- (There is no map for the Glittering Caves inside the entrance - 71.3S|142.2W.)
- Sunrise: one interacts with the "leaning banner" to time shift for Vol. III. Book 13, Chapter 10, The Hornburg
Epic Battles Related Information
With the release of Helm's Deep, there are many overlapping areas of information relating to Epic Battles .
- Helm's Deep -- information about the settlement about the Battles.
New Game technologies:
Instance specific information
- Helm's Deep: The Battle for Helm's Deep - overview of the instances
- Only "Before Midnight" can the following services be found within the settlement of Helm's Deep:
- Merit Committee (Battle Decorations (Standard Honors))
- Merit Committee (Battle Decorations (High Honors))
- Gléowine and his Map-table (Helm's Deep, ater Midnight) exist to transport you into the Battles.
- Hunter Trainer
- Rune-keeper Trainer
- Lore-master Trainer
- Minstrel Trainer
- Burglar Trainer
- Guardian Trainer
- Captain Trainer
- Warden Trainer
- Champion Trainer
The Epic Battles of Helm's Deep are initially encountered during the Epic Quest Line associated with the Helm's Deep Expansion. Unlike previous portions of the Epic Quest line, the [Deep Expansion] is a required purchase to continue the Epic Quest line.
These battles are found in the chapters of Vol. III. Book 13: The Battle of the Hornburg. They are accessed via the Road to Battle User Interface (UI).
|Volume III, Book 13: Helm's Deep|
Vol. III. Book 13: The Battle of the Hornburg
Notes on the new Game technology and the implementation of the battle
- "Turbine said that while Peter Jackson's vision of Helm's Deep made a serious impact on how fans saw the battle, "LOTRO is the game of the books" and as such is striving to provide a more accurate representation of the conflict as depicted in the original books. So while there will be no Elves showing up or Gandalf charging in to save the day, we will experience many events of the books that didn't make it to film, such as clashes at the dike and the glittering caves.
- "The outcome of the "Big Battle" of Helm's Deep is fixed in lore and won't be impacted by the player, but each player can make a difference in how they contribute to that victory through their efforts.
- "Part of a player's contribution will depend on how his group coordinates (if he is in one) and what role he decides to pursue. There are three roles in the defense of Helm's Deep: vanguard, engineer, and officer. Vanguards are focused on wading into the battle and doing some personal damage, engineers fire siege weapons and interact with environmental objects, and officers give orders. Seems there's a little something there for all interests." 
- Tolkien Gateway - Helm's Deep
- The determined defense of Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep - A press preview.
|Settlements and Landmarks of Westfold|
|Settlements:||Helm's Deep • Grimslade|
|Landmarks:||Erkenbrand's Refuge • Fords of Isen • Fushum Raus • The Hornburg • Lufût-mos • Marton • Marton Farmlands • Marton's Refugees • Shatorthum • The Staging Camp|
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of West Rohan|
|Settlements:||Aldburg • Beaconwatch • Brockbridge • Edoras • Entwade • Fenmarch • Gapholt • Grimslade • Helm's Deep • Middlemead • Oserley • Stoke • Tordag's Camp • Underharrow • Woodhurst • Derndingle|
|Areas:||Broadacres • Eastfold • Kingstead • Stonedeans • Westfold • Entwood|
|Landmarks:|| Kingstead: Dark Door • Dimholt • Dunharrow • Bosa's Farm • Folcbur's Homestead • Gurz-shâpol • Harrowdale • Meduseld • Pendlac's Farm • Upbourn|
Eastfold: Everholt • Folde Farm • Gris-shâtroful • Dorr-shâtroful
| Basic Training (Tutorial)|
The Battle of Helm's Deep: Helm's Dike • The Deeping Wall • The Deeping-coomb • The Glittering Caves • The Hornburg