Guide to Origins
During character creation you get to choose an origin for your character depending on race. Below are descriptions of each origin. These origins determine minor characteristics for your character such as hair and skin tone, as well as being the first title that you will get.
Race of Man Origins:
- You grew up in Bree-land, once part of the North Kingdom of Arnor, once ruled by Elendil the Tall as High King of Middle-earth, and later by his elder son Isildur. Now it is but a simple, rustic land, and the North Kingdom is no more.
- You come from the Dale-lands in the north-east of Middle-earth, beneath the Lonely Mountain, where Bard the Bowman slew the dragon Smaug and fought in the Battle of Five Armies.
- You hail from the land of Gondor, the South Kingdom once ruled jointly by the sons of Elendil, Isildur and Anárion, ever-watchful against the looming threat of Mordor.
- You are one of the Horse-lords of the Riddermark, the realm granted to Eorl the Young by Cirion, Steward of Gondor, currently ruled by Théoden, son of Thengel.
- Your home is in Ered Luin, the Blue Mountains, where there had once been two great dwarf-kingdoms and where the kinsmen of Thráin and his son Thorin Oakenshield lived in exile after Smaug drove them from the Lonely Mountain.
- You come from the Iron Hills, settled by dwarves as a refuge from the Cold-drakes, and whence came Dáin Ironfoot, King under the Mountain, kinsman of the great Thorin Oakenshield.
- You hail from Erebor, the Lonely Mountain, where Smaug the Golden made his lair until Thorin Oakenshield reclaimed it for his people. There does Dáin Ironfoot rule as King under the Mountain.
- You are from Ered Mithrin, the Grey Mountains, the chief of which is Mount Gundabad, from whence came Durin the Deathless, first Father of the Dwarves. Your kindred returned to the Mountains after the Dragons perished.
- You are from the south-western halls of Ered Nimrais, the White Mountains in the south bordering the lands of Andrast. Though your kingdom lies far from the central mountains where Men once dwelt, the rumour of the Oathbreakers has given your realm an ill name.
- Lovers of trees and woodlands, the Fallohides were the first hobbits to come to the Shire. They generally tend to be fairer of skin and hair, as well as taller and more slender.
- The Harfoots are the most prodigious hole-dwellers and were the first to cross west into Eriador. They generally tend to be browner of skin than the other kindreds, as well as smaller and shorter.
- The Stoors were the last of the hobbit kindreds to come to the Shire, settling in the eastern marshlands that became known as the marish. They generally tend to be heavier and broader of build than the other kindreds.
- You hail from Lindon, the green lands of the Elves between Ered Luin and the sea, where Gil-galad, the last great Elf-king, once ruled. Cirdan the Shipwright now rules these from Mithlond, the Grey Havens.
- You come from Lothlórien, the fabled golden woods whose Elves dwell high in the Mallorn-trees and are ruled by Celeborn, wisest of the Eldar of Middle-earth, and the Lady Galadriel.
- You are a Wood-elf of Mirkwood, once called Greenwood the Great, where King Thranduil keeps watch against the growing darkness of Dol Guldur, former stronghold of Sauron in his guise as the Necromancer.
- You hail from Imladris, called Rivendell by Men, built by Elrond Halfelven as a refuge for the Elves of Eregion as they fled destruction at the hands of Sauron.
- You are of the Nandor of Edhellond, the great Elf-haven in the south built by Amroth upon the Bay of Belfalas.