The location of this cave and its lake is deepest within the caverns. Coming from Eglanúr, at the last fork the left passage leads to the Goblin-town Throne Room (also known as the Great Goblin's Den), but further off to the right is this hidden cavern.
Directions from Mountain's Throat:
- First follow directions to Zagh
- From bottom of second stairs, head north through room and bear right, follow a tunnel.
- Follow tunnel east then north then east again, and turn at the second right. This will take you to Gollum's Cave entrance.
The following deeds can be obtained by visiting this location:
-  The Undiscovered Path - Small fellowship
The following creatures are found within this area:
- Gollum's cave is a dark, silent lake nestled down near the roots of the Misty Mountains, and it is said that even goblins fear it greatly and rarely come here.
- The famed hobbit-burglar Bilbo Baggins stumbled into this cave long ago, when Dori dropped him off, and there met the wretched creature Gollum. It is said he won his freedom through a Riddle-game, but there is rumour that he did not play fairly.
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Misty Mountains|
|Settlements:||Glóin's Camp • Hrimbarg • Vindurhal|
|Areas:||Bruinen Source East • Bruinen Source North • Bruinen Source West • Giant Halls • Goblin-town • High Crag • Northern High Pass • Southern High Pass|
|Landmarks:||Akûltot • Bergel's Notch • The Bitter Stair • The Black Crack • Caldwell Pool • Ceber Los • Cirith Daur • Cirith Imladris • The Deep-fires • Den of the Northern Army • Dómstoll • Eglanúr • Eikhall Dale • Erforgh Cleft • Frosthyle Pond • Gabilazan • Ghâshru • The Giant's Needle • Goblin-town Throne Room • Gollum's Cave • Greybough End • Hríthur's Haven • Imlad Norn • Iorbar • Iskeld's Lookout • The Lornstone • Men Helch • The Mountain's Throat • Nan Gongarag • Northtarn • Orod Laden • Pinnath Fenui • Rakhâs-bizar • Slave Pens • Snárskrith Dell • Starkhath • Stonecaller's Circle • Thorgest's Haven • Thundergrot • War Steadings • Whitcleft • Writhenbores|