|Region:||The Misty Mountains|
This ruined fortress sits athwart a narrow passage from Giant Halls to its northern entrance in High Crag.
It was overrun but abandoned by goblins long since, but is now controlled by Dourhands in liaison with giants, what an unexpected alliance. Recently, scouts have reported that Skorgrím Dourhand is now their leader, made un-dead in Silver Deep and arrived to Gabilazan not that long ago.
While the landmark flag is found within Giant Halls, most of Gabilazan lies within High Crag:
In the northern section of the fortress is the Gabilazan Vault, where the first stone of these ruins where laid. What more is, the Longbeards also put down a copy of the plans of the fortress beneath the stone, which may become handy under these evil timings. On a hill in the southern section lies Halmur Stoneshaper's Tomb, a place shunned by the Dourhands. And in the middle, to the east, lies a fortified section where Skorgrím is hiding together with "the missing rider", a Nazgûl, and during a quest instance defenders of the Free Peoples are given entrance by Gimli.
The following deeds can be obtained by visiting this location:
-  Volume I, Book 5, Chapter 3: The High Fortress
-  Volume I, Book 5, Instance: The Last Refuge
-  A Daring Plan - Episodic Content
-  Articles of Fortitude - Guardian
- See also Halmur Stoneshaper's Tomb
- Halmur Stoneshaper - Inside the tomb
The following creatures are found within this area:
- Gabilazan Captain
- Gabilazan Champion
- Gabilazan Foreman
- Gabilazan Lieutenant
- Skorgrím Dourhand
- Gabilazan was one of the two fortresses built by Durin's Folk in the northern reaches of the Misty Mountains, beneath which stretched extensive mines. Alas, these settlements were always challenged by the goblins which infested the range. After the fall of Helegrod to the north to a marauding Dragon and its spawn, Gabilazan was eventually isolated, besieged and overrun by goblins during the waning rule of the Longbeards.
- These days the goblins have abandoned the fortress to ruin and in their stead an odd alliance of giants and the traitorous Dourhands have made it their home. — Deed text
- South of the High Crag tumbles a land of giants, from trolls and mammoths to proper rock-throwing, Man-squashing folk from the Giant-halls of Iorbar in the far south. However, an old Dwarf-fort called Gabilazan guards the western pass. Now controlled by the wicked Dourhand family of Dwarves, Gabilazan has become a vital hinge in Angmar’s plans for the Misty Mountains. It is here that the Dourhands conspire with giants against the Free Peoples of Eriador below. — 
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Misty Mountains|
|Settlements:||Glóin's Camp • Hrimbarg • Vindurhal|
|Areas:||Bruinen Source East • Bruinen Source North • Bruinen Source West • Giant Halls • Goblin-town • High Crag • Northern High Pass • Southern High Pass|
|Landmarks:||Akûltot • Bergel's Notch • The Bitter Stair • The Black Crack • Caldwell Pool • Ceber Los • Cirith Daur • Cirith Imladris • The Deep-fires • Den of the Northern Army • Dómstoll • Eglanúr • Eikhall Dale • Erforgh Cleft • Frosthyle Pond • Gabilazan • Ghâshru • The Giant's Needle • Goblin-town Throne Room • Gollum's Cave • Greybough End • Hríthur's Haven • Imlad Norn • Iorbar • Iskeld's Lookout • The Lornstone • Men Helch • The Mountain's Throat • Nan Gongarag • Northtarn • Orod Laden • Pinnath Fenui • Rakhâs-bizar • Slave Pens • Snárskrith Dell • Starkhath • Stonecaller's Circle • Thorgest's Haven • Thundergrot • War Steadings • Whitcleft • Writhenbores|