Frodo Baggins is the Hobbit that was chosen for the delicate task to destroy the One Ring before it would be found by Sauron, or rather than it would find its way to him by itself. A new hobbit or man character will meet Frodo already in the first instance, very briefly, when he was on his way to Crickhollow. After that date all characters follow hard on his heels while he travels eastwards with his company, always a few days too late, and eventually meet him in Elrond's house in Rivendell. There he stays a few months, over the Council, and preparing for the departure which eventually happens on December 25 III 3018 (Shire Calendar).
- Heir of Bilbo Baggins, and hero of the Company of the Ring. Renowned for bearing the One Ring to the land of Mordor, and bringing it to the Cracks of Doom.
- Bilbo's cousin Frodo shares kinship with the Bagginses and Brandybucks, both influential families with long histories in the Shire. His parents died when he was just twelve years old, after which he lived with his Brandybuck relations at sprawling Brandy Hall in Buckland. Taller and fairer-skinned than most Hobbits, Frodo was prone to getting into trouble as a youngster (particularly by stealing mushrooms from the ornery Farmer Maggot), but most folk regarded him as a fine, if somewhat mischievous, young hobbit. He gained an interest in the languages, histories and tales of the Elves, presumably from conversations with Bilbo. Bilbo adopted him as his heir when Frodo was twenty-one, he moved to Bag End to live there.
- In more recent years, particularly after Bilbo's strange disappearance during his eleventy-first birthday party, Frodo has seemed much less light of spirit, carrying a heavy burden of responsibility and keeping mostly to himself in Bag End, though few in the Shire dare guess what might be weighing so heavily upon him. His recent departure to live at Crickhollow, nearer to his Brandybuck kin, has been met with nearly as much speculation as Bilbo's departure 17 years ago. — lorebook
-  Baggins' Birthday
-  Baggins' Birthday - Frodo's Request
-  Intro (Hobbit), Instance: A Road Through the Dark
-  Frodo's Burden
-  Instance: Frodo's Burden
-  Instance: The Blade that was Broken
-  Preparing for the Dark - Small Fellowship
-  Belated Birthday
-  Volume II, Prologue, Foreword: Hobbits Far Afield - Hobbit
-  Volume II, Prologue, Foreword: Hobbiton to Rivendell - Hobbit
-  Volume II, Prologue, Instance: The Fellowship Departs
-  Instance: Interlude: A Dream of Cold and Silence
- [...] Quest:Year 1 Tales: Frodo - Anniversary
- "I wonder how Bilbo is getting on with his latest poem."
- "Lord Elrond must be very old, but he seems to be young all the same. There is a light about him."
- "Aragorn is mysterious, but he no longer frightens me."
- "My uncle Bilbo spends his time in the Hall of Fire, but this is his room."
- "There are so many great Men and Elves and Dwarves here. I feel a little out of place."
- "I hope Lobelia hasn't caused too much trouble for the Gaffer. He deserves better neighbours."
- "I remember Bilbo's stories about Rivendell when I was young. It feels strange, being here."
- "I never thought to see so much of the world. The Shire feels so far away and small."
-  Volume II, Book 7, Chapter 2: Ringbearer's Respite
-  Volume III, Book 6, Instance: Troubled Dreams - Solo only
Frodo (East Rohan)
During Volume III, Book 7, the fellowship travels down the Anduin.
Frodo (Road to Mordor)
There are two more glimpses of Frodo on his journey to Mordor in the following quest instances: