|Region:||The North Downs|
|Dungeon(s):|| Wraith of Water |
Wraith of Earth
Wraith of Fire
Wraith of Shadow
|Landmark(s):|| Barad Eithel |
|Fields of Fornost|
|Levels:||Mainly 36 - 41|
This area is found north of the Fields of Fornost. It contains four World Instances. The name is Sindarin for "Northern Fortress" and it is known as "Deadmen's Dike" among Men. Once this was a major Númenórean city. It was the last city of the Northern Kingdom to fall to the Witch-king of Angmar more than thousand years before the current era of Lotro. (See "Lore" below for further historical details.) For centuries these ruins were peaceful and covered with grass, but recently Fornost was overrun by evil creatures from Angmar. Who knows what are they seeking and what fuels their hatred?
The section outside of the instances, north of the Fields, is unofficially called Fornost City and several quests take place there. Other quests require access into the different instances. Just outside the entrance to the instances is a Camp Site Fire. The nearest stable-masters are in Amon Raith and Trestlebridge, and the nearest services are found at Free Peoples' Camp.
Notice that the four instances must be done in order and within each a certain deed must be completed which unlocks the next instance. They are, in order: Water, Earth, Fire, and Shadow. Non-VIP accounts must purchase the Quest Pack:North Downs to access the instances.
Dungeons - Landmarks
Within the instances these landmarks are located respectively:
- Fornost: Wraith of Water -- Barad Eithel
- Fornost: Wraith of Earth -- Barad Harn
- Fornost: Wraith of Fire -- Barad Narthan
- Fornost: Wraith of Shadow -- Minas Erain
See the instances for more quests
Fornost: Wraith of Water
Fornost: Wraith of Earth
Fornost: Wraith of Fire
Fornost: Wraith of Shadow
Most quests are given at the Free Peoples' Camp
-  Instance: Free Range - Session Play
-  Eliminating the Beasts
-  Pre-emptive Measures
-  Rock-worms
-  Seeking the Source
-  Ending the Elder
-  Fell the Trolls
-  Stem the Invasion
-  Putting Down the Dead
See list of all NPCs within Fornost
Outside the Instances
- Ancient Field-bear
- Ancient Hoar-mantle
- Blogmal Guard
- Blogmal Pillager
- Blogmal Raider
- Blogmal Sapper
- Blogmal Spear-master
- Blogmal Warlord
- Fearsome Rock-worm
- Field-bear Cub
- Great Hoar-mantle
- Sickly Razortooth
Within the Instances
|36||Zhurmat||Elite Master||Orc-kind||0||12,500||Wraith of Water|
|39||Shiruk and Kamordî||Elite Master||Orc-kind||0||2 x 14,000||Wraith of Water|
|37||Megoriath||Elite Master||The Unseen||2||22,000||Wraith of Water||Barad Eithel|
|36||Warchief Búrzghâsh||Elite Master||Orc-kind||0||19,000||Wraith of Earth|
|37||Gurkâmâb||Elite Master||Troll-kind||0||20,000||Wraith of Earth|
|38||Rhavameldir||Elite Master||The Unseen||3||21,000||Wraith of Earth||Barad Harn|
|38||Riamul||Elite Master||The Dead||2||22,500||Wraith of Fire|
|39||Zanthrug||Elite Master||Orc-kind||0||23,500||Wraith of Fire|
|40||Brogadan||Elite Master||The Unseen||4||25,000||Wraith of Fire||Barad Narthan|
|41||Krithmog||Elite Master||Beast||1||23,500||Wraith of Shadow||Minas Erain|
|41||Einiora||Elite Master||Man||0||23,000||Wraith of Shadow||Minas Erain|
|42||Remmenaeg||Nemesis||The Unseen||6||32,500||Wraith of Shadow||Minas Erain|
Level 85 Drops
Gear (Fornost Shared)
Axe of the Fornost Champion
Cloak of the Fornost Captain
Leg-guards of the Fornost Guardian
Here follows mere summaries, detailed overviews are found at the instance pages individually. Notice that these instances must be done in order; for each, completing certain quests and defeating the final boss is a prerequisite for the following instance. Boss locations are listed above.
Defeat Zhurmat. Optionally find and rescue Sara Oakheart and defeat the two uruk bosses Shiruk and Kamordî. Finally, fight your way towards Barad Eithel, the first tower, and defeat Megoriath who drops a morgul hilt.
Find and defeat Riamul. Fight your way towards an idol, destroy it, and defeat the elite master Zanthrug. Finally, fight through fire wights towards and up the "third tower", Barad Narthan, and defeat Brogadan who drop a third morgul hilt.
Find and defeat Krithmog that is found in the basement with a bunch of wargs. Proceed and fight your way up up the tower towards Einiora and her three barghests. Proceed to the roof of the tower to lit braziers and defeat Remmenaeg, the last boss.
- Shorter version
- Fornost flourished as the last capital of the fallen North Kingdom until it was destroyed by the Witch-king of Angmar. A year later Earnur, last king of Gondor, along with Glorfindel and forces from Rivendell, defeated the Witch-king and drove his forces off. However, the city soon fell into decay and ruin. For roughly a thousand years now, it has become the haunt of orcs and fell things, and men call it "Deadman's Dike".
- Longer version
- Located in the north-west of the North Downs, where the Greenway leads, stands the city of Fornost, broken long ago by the armies of Angmar. It once served as the seat of kings. When it fell, so did the North Kingdom of the Dúnedain - Arnor.
- Arnor was the northern kingdom of the noble-blooded Dúnedain, founded late in the Second Age by Elendil, who later died at the hands of Sauron. In those days, the capital of Arnor sat in the city of Annúminas, on Lake Evendim, west of the North Downs.
- Generations later, in a dispute over succession, Arnor was broken into three realms, and the North Downs became the dominion of a new kingdom called Arthedain. Here Amlaith — the first king of Arthedain, and a direct descendant of Isildur and Elendil — made Fornost his capital.
- For more than eleven hundred years, the Dúnedain kings of Arthedain ruled from Fornost. It was a king of Arthedain that bestowed the lands of the Shire to Hobbits from Bree. The Hobbits called Fornost the “King’s Norbury,” a translation of the city’s formal Elvish title of Fornost Erain (literally, “northern fortress of kings”). The folk of the North Downs use all these names today. Some Men also call the lands of Fornost “the Deadman’s Dike,” for today the city and its fields are a bleak ruin.
- Almost a thousand years ago, the hordes of Angmar swept across Nan Amlug and overran Fornost as part of the Witch-king’s stratagem to conquer the North Kingdom. The city fell. (Some say that traitors bewitched by Amarthiel — a champion of Angmar — betrayed the proud city from within.) Routed Dúnedain lords fled the land and king Arvedui, escaped to the frozen north but was lost at sea. So ended the kingdom of Arthedain.
- The Witch-king held the city of Fornost for a year, until an army made of Men from Gondor under Earnur, the last king of Gondor, along with Elves from Lindon and Rivendell, and rallied remnants of the northern Dúnedain, arrived on the Fields of Fornost. The battle that followed ravaged the land and destroyed the army of Angmar. The Witch-king fled east to Carn Dûm, but his mark forever stained Fornost and its fields.
- The ruined city of Fornost seems forever blighted by the treachery and brutality of its defeat. Once a place of kings, it is now befouled by Orcs and haunted by Oathbreakers and fell spirits. Do not venture here alone. — Hero's Guide
|Bosses of Fornost|
|Zhurmat • Shiruk & Kamordî • Megoriath ♦ Warchief Búrzghâsh • Gurkâmâb • Rhavameldir ♦ Riamul • Zanthrug • Brogadan ♦ Krithmog • Einiora • Remmenaeg|
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The North Downs|
|Settlements:||Esteldín • Free Peoples' Camp • Lin Giliath • Othrikar • Trestlebridge|
|Areas:||Annúndir • Dol Dínen • Fields of Fornost • Fornost • Greenway • Kingsfell • Meluinen • Nan Amlug East • Nan Amlug West • Nan Wathren • Rhunenlad • Taur Gonwaith|
|Landmarks:||Amlaith's Scar • Amon Amrûn • Amon Raith • Barad Eithel • Barad Harn • Barad Narthan • Dol Nendír • Etten Caves • The Evendim Gate • Falconer's Tower • Fashat Laug • Gatson's Farm • Gatson's South Fields • Glírost • Gurzlum • Haudh Eglan • Hîgropor • Hîsuk • Hrizgur • Kamskut • Kar Lak • Merenost • Minas Vrûn • Mincham's Camp • Nan Wathren Eastern Pass • Nan Wathren Western Pass • Nathan Hodge's Farm • Norbury Gates • Ost Crithlanc • Ost Galumar • Ost Lagoros • Ost Nuaran • Rusfold • Skirmish Camp • The Snares • Stoneheight • Tham Lorn • Thurûm • Trestlebridge Gate • The Trestlespan • Tûmat • William Peake's Farm|