Have you always wanted to take up fishing and get out into the great outdoors where you can enjoy nature while casting your line in the sparkling water? Well, now is a great time to start! Fishing is a hobby that can be pursued at your leisure and requires nothing more than a little patience and a fishing pole.
One of the only ways a hobbit can spend an afternoon snoozing in the sun and still get dinner.
Players can train in the art of fishing and tackle from Hobby Masters: Hobby Masters hold the secrets to learning various hobbies. Hobby Masters were introduced into the game with Book 13: Doom of the Last-king (Patch Notes - April 24th, 2008).
Hobby Master NPCs
How to Fish
Open the Character Journal and click on the Hobby button along the bottom. Here you will find information about fishing, and the Fishing icon which you should drag/assign to a quickslot.
Locate any body of water; a lake, river, stream, or pond should suffice. Once you have picked out your fishing spot, equip your fishing pole and face the water.
Press the Fishing quickslot button once (or activate the associated hotkey) to cast your line. Once the line has been cast, wait until you see signs of struggling - splashing in the water, the bobber dipping under the water, or your fishing pole flexing are the signs. Other signs include animation of a fish approaching and then biting the floating lure in the water.
When these signs occur, reel in your line by pressing the Fishing button again. If you reacted in time, you will have caught something. If not, try again.
Leveling Fishing: There is no limit to the number of times you can cast and retrieve the line, but experience accrual will cease after ten points have been earned in a 24 hour period. When your hobby bar is yellow, you cannot earn any more fishing experience until 3 AM (server time) the next day. In general, fishing near Bree is good until your skill is 40 or 50, then try North Downs or Evendim until about 100, after which Forochel and Great River are great places. In Moria, there is a handy pool of water on the way to the Scholar Crafting Instance along the Winding Way, which is not that far from the 21st Hall, of course the Rotting Cellar is always available for fishing in Moria.
If you cast and catch fish 6 or more times in a row and do not get a skillup, either your hobby bar is yellow (finished leveling for the day), or the water is too "high or low level" for you. After your skill is 150, though, it can take a long time to reach 200. Although it's still possible to get 10 skillups per day, it takes more than 6 or fewer casts to get a skillup after 150 is reached.
Your first fishing-rod is a gift from the hobby-master. Better fishing-rods can be crafted by an Expert Woodworker, but the basic rod will do splendidly for a beginner.
|Basic Fishing Rod||-||-|
| Yew Fishing Rod
Well-crafted Yew Fishing Rod
| +1 Fishing Skill
+3 Fishing Skill
| Lebethron Fishing Rod
Well-crafted Lebethron Fishing Rod
| +4 Fishing Skill
+5 Fishing Skill
|Rohirric Fishing Rod||+8 Fishing Skill||Barterer: Eastemnet Miscellany Quartermaster|
-  One Fish, Two Fish
-  Teach a Man to Fish
-  Fish-tales
-  Hook, Line, and Sinker
-  Glinting in Forgotten Pools (repeatable)
-  Quest:Fishing on the Wharf (repeatable)
- Hytbold - Aiding the Sutcrofts (repeatable)
Special fishing quest conditions: In some fishing quests, you must cast your line toward a glowing or bubbling point in the water. Often there will be an icon on your vital display showing "This is a good place to fish" or similar, and possibly a countdown timer. When the timer expires, the "good fishing spot" has moved, and you must move to the next spot. In other quests, notably Glinting in Forgotten Pools, you must fish until something is caught, but the creature that holds the item now attacks you. Place your weapon in a handy place on your quickslot bars so you can switch quickly.
The Dol Amroth Docks daily quests have complex mechanics where you must bait before fishing, find the right place to fish, and also fight some turtles that you fish up. There is a guide to these quests here [Dol Amroth City Watch – Docks guide]
Your proficiency level can only be increased by 10 points per day. A yellow progress bar on the Hobby tab of the Character log indicates you've reached your limit for that day. You can continue to fish, but you will not receive any more experience for the rest of that day.
- The Salmon King - Catch a 50lb Salmon!
- Darter-master - Catch all 9 Darter varieties.
- Sturgeon-master - Catch all 9 Sturgeon varieties.
- Trout-master - Catch all 9 Trout varieties.
Catch of the Day
Certain fish are caught depending on your level of experience in your Hobby. Once you reach the next proficiency, fish from the level before will no longer yield points for you.
There are several types of fish you are able to catch.
- General Fish and Junk
- Crafting Fish
- Rare Fish (such as Trout, Darter, Sturgeon, and Salmon)
- Trophy Fish or Mountable Wall Fish - barter with the taxidermist for a mounted fish
Rare Fish Locations
- Trout: All nine trout species can be caught in The North Downs, Trollshaws, Evendim and The Lone-lands with fishing skill 50+. All water in those areas have exactly the same drop rate. Reward: Trout Group Trophy
- Darter: All nine darter species can be caught in Angmar, Misty Mountains and Forochel with fishing skill 100+. All water in those areas have exactly the same drop rate. Reward: Darter Group Trophy
- Sturgeon: All nine sturgeon species can be caught in Enedwaith, Eregion, Mirkwood, Moria, and East Rohan with fishing skill 150+. All water in those areas have exactly the same drop rate. Reward: Sturgeon Group Trophy
- Salmon: All salmon, including the 50-lb salmon have been reported being caught from the island in Evendim. 50-lb salmon has been reported being caught from Mirkwood, Enedwaith, East Rohan and Dunland.
Introduced with Book 13: Doom of the Last-king, fishing is currently the only hobby available in LOTRO.
A wonderful, visual site about fishing that helped us fill in some blanks: The Compleat Angler's Visual Guide To Fishing In Middle-Earth