Have you always wanted to take up fishing and get out into the great outdoors where you can enjoy nature while casting your line in the sparkling water? Well, now is a great time to start! Fishing is a hobby that can be pursued at your leisure and requires nothing more than a little patience and a fishing pole.
One of the only ways a hobbit can spend an afternoon snoozing in the sun and still get dinner.
Players can train in the art of fishing and tackle from Hobby Masters: Hobby Masters hold the secrets to learning various hobbies. Hobby Masters were introduced into the game with Book 13: Doom of the Last-king (Patch Notes - April 24th, 2008).
Hobby Master NPCs
How to Fish
Open the Character Journal and click on the Hobby tab along the top. Here you will find information about fishing, and the Fishing icon which you should assign to a quickslot.
Locate any body of water; a lake, river, stream, or pond should suffice. Once you have picked out your fishing spot, equip your fishing pole and face the water. Press the Fishing quickslot button once (or activate the associated hotkey) to cast your line. Once the line has been cast, wait until you see signs of struggling - splashing in the water, the bobber dipping under the water, or your fishing pole flexing are the signs. When these signs occur, reel in your line by pressing the Fishing button again. If you reacted in time, you will have caught something. If not, try again. There is no limit to the number of times you can cast and retrieve the line, but experience accrual will cease after ten points have been earned in a 24 hour period.
Your first fishing-rod is a gift from the hobby-master. Better fishing-rods can be crafted by an Expert Woodworker, but the basic rod will do splendidly for a beginner.
|Basic Fishing Rod||-||-|
| Yew Fishing Rod
Well-crafted Yew Fishing Rod
| +1 Fishing Skill
+3 Fishing Skill
| Lebethron Fishing Rod
Well-crafted Lebethron Fishing Rod
| +4 Fishing Skill
+5 Fishing Skill
|Rohirric Fishing Rod||+8 Fishing Skill|
Your proficiency level can only be increased by 10 points per day. A yellow progress bar on the Hobby tab of the Character log indicates you've reached your limit for that day. You can continue to fish, but you will not receive any more experience for the rest of that day.
- The Salmon King - Catch a 50lb Salmon!
- Darter-master - Catch all 9 Darter varieties.
- Sturgeon-master - Catch all 9 Sturgeon varieties.
- Trout-master - Catch all 9 Trout varieties.
Catch of the Day
Certain fish are caught depending on your level of experience in your Hobby. Once you reach the next proficiency, fish from the level before will no longer yield points for you.
There are several types of fish you are able to catch.
- General Fish and Junk
- Crafting Fish
- Rare Fish (such as Trout, Darter, Sturgeon, and Salmon)
- Trophy Fish or Mountable Wall Fish - barter with the taxidermist for a mounted fish
Rare Fish Locations
- TROUT: All nine trout species can be caught in The North Downs, Trollshaws, Evendim and The Lone-lands with fishing skill 50+. All water in those areas have exactly the same drop rate
- DARTER: All nine darter species can be caught in Angmar, Misty Mountains and Forochel with fishing skill 100+. All water in those areas have exactly the same drop rate.
- STURGEON: All nine sturgeon species can be caught in Enedwaith, Eregion, Mirkwood, Moria, and East Rohan with fishing skill 150+. All water in those areas have exactly the same drop rate.
- SALMON: All salmon except the 50-lb salmon have been reported being caught from the island in Evendim. 50-lb salmon has been reported being caught from Mirkwood, Enedwaith, and Dunland.
Introduced with Book 13: Doom of the Last-king, fishing is the first hobby being introduced in The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar. For more information about fishing, see this Developer Diary
A wonderful, visual site about fishing that helped us fill in some blanks: The Compleat Angler's Visual Guide To Fishing In Middle-Earth