- When you first acquire your crafting profession, all crafters need to carry around three different tools, one for each profession in their vocation.
- Inferior tools are given to a character by the Master or Mistress of Apprentices when they first choose their vocation.
- Basic tools can then be purchased immediately from a supplier or your vocation trainer for 2 . While an improvement in durability over the Inferior tools, they are still cumbersome to use -- taking up valuable bag space and requiring the changing of tools depending on the resource type being harvested or the item being crafted.
- This problem is easily aleviated. While it is possible to purchase these individual low-level tools from various expert crafters, or the supplier, it is barely necessary.
- It is recommended that the player obtain the vocation specific 3-in-1 Tool which combines the three (previously single) craft tools into one item which offers the following advantages:
- Frees up three slots in your inventory. (The 3-in-1 tools can be permantly equipped and need not be swapped in and out of inventory.)
- Eliminates the need to switch tools as you swap professions (to gather or craft)
- Provides a Critical Chance bonus when crafting and a reduction to Harvesting Duration when harvesting crops or resources, depending on the current activity.
- These vocation specific 3-in-1 tools may be acquired in one of two ways:
- This item is Bind to Account therefore it can be shared between characters on the same account and server. Its statistics are those of rare quality superior Tier 5 tools (example).
- The Universal Toolkit's buffs (statistics) are now only exceeded once a character reaches level 55 and can use better tools crafted for their vocation by a Metalsmith's Guild member - the Supreme Tier 6 Superior Tools of the Supreme Armsman.
- It is possible to have an Apprentice Metalsmith (T1) craft for you, a set of "3-in-1" Tools appropriate for your Vocation:
- (Note: these tools are tradeable and are therefore available from Kinmates or other players, and occasionally found in the auction house.)
- Tools of the Apprentice Armourer
- Tools of the Apprentice Armsman
- Tools of the Apprentice Explorer
- Tools of the Apprentice Historian
- Tools of the Apprentice Tinker
- Tools of the Apprentice Woodsman
- Tools of the Apprentice Yeoman
- Note also, that while readily available, these Apprentice level crafted tools do not provide the same level os bonus as does the Universal Tool Kit. Only at higher levels (above level 55) do the crafted 3-in-1 tools have bonuses which exceed that of the Universal Tool Kit.
- Equipping a set of these "3-in-1 Tools" immediately frees up 3 slots in your bags! PLUS it eliminates the need to switch tools as you change profession! PLUS the tools give increased critical crafting bonuses and dramatically cut down on the time necessary to harvest (but not prepare) resources.
Crafting Tool Recipes
Obtaining the various tier recipes for these tools is currently rather confused following the removal of the single tool recipes and removal of single-use tool recipes from lower tiers; together with their replacement with the combined vocation tool recipes (previously only available at higher tiers) As noted below all single item recipes have been removed from the game (with one exception noted below)
Note that these vocation tool recipes are not included in the loot table of the rare quality scrolls obtained via Barter from Skirmish Camp Craft vendors or other reputation barter NPCs.
The relevant recipes can be obtained at each tier as follows;
- Journeyman (Tier 2) - Randomly from levelled loot drops as a Journeyman Metalsmith Scroll Case. More dependably from the appropriate level bounty quests (each quest limited to repeat three times) which include a Journeyman Tool Scroll Case as a reward option. These randomly drop one of the seven Journeyman tool recipes. The relevant bounty quest givers are;
- Expert (Tier 3) - Randomly from levelled loot drops as a Expert Metalsmith Scroll Case. More dependably from the appropriate level bounty quests (each quest limited to repeat three times) which include a Expert Tool Scroll Case as a reward option. These randomly drop one of the seven Expert tool recipes. The relevant bounty quest giver is;
- Artisan (Tier 4) - Randomly from levelled loot drops as a Artisan Metalsmith Scroll Case. There are currently no relevant level bounty quests therefore they are only obtainable in-game from the random levelled loot drops. These can be traded so worth checking the Auction House etc..
- Master (Tier 5) and higher tiers - These remain the same [confirmation required], with a mix of single-use recipes from drops and via barter; together with guild recipes (superior quality).
|| IMPORTANT: As of Update 12, Helm's Deep, most of the items described here are now obsolete.
- They still exist in-game if a character has them in their Inventory or vault.
- These tools are still craftable if the recipe is available in the Crafting panel, in a bag or vault, but the recipe is now obsolete too.
- All single tools have been replaced by tool collections.
- Apparently all tools sets between T1 - Tools of the Apprentice . . . and T6 - Tools of the Supreme . . . have been eliminated
With the release of Update 12, Helm's Deep, crafted single tools are now obsolete, but inferior & regular ones are still available, as described at the beginning of this page. Few tools can still exist in a bag or vault, but cannot be crafted anymore. The only recipes that have not disappeared for now are the T5's single use recipes; as noted on the Metalsmith Master Recipe Index:
- These recipes cannot be revealed anymore from a Master Metalsmith Scroll Case but can still be available in a bag or vault
- These recipes stay in the Crafting panel until used
- Tool collection recipes are now available to replace single tool recipes (see above)