Index to all News postings
- Asheron's Call (or AC, for short) is a fantasy MMORPG developed by Turbine Turbine, Inc.
- It was released on November 2, 1999 - marketed by Microsoft until 2004.
- The game engine developed for Asheron's Call was used by Turbine as the basis for their next MMO - Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO), and then later for the Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO).
- According to the article in the Wikipedia enwp.org/Asheron's_Call, Acheron's Call was the third major MMORPG to be released and was developed at the same time as Ultima Online and EverQuest.
- In March of 2014, Turbine announced that in the near future, they will be releasing both Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2 free for all players, converting accounts into this new model for all to enjoy, as well as releasing the server and client software to allow players to run their own private servers for other people to hop on and play. They also intend to work with the community to help them create their own content to help build and customize their own worlds inside of the game.
- As of July 30, 2016, Turbine is still running the AC 1 and AC 2 servers. The game may be joined by paying a one-time fee of $10.00 USD. After that initial fee, there is no further subscription fee.
The end of Asheron's Call
- Source: http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/20/asherons-call-and-its-sequel-will-sunset-as-part-of-the-turbinestanding-stone-split/
ASHERON’S CALL AND ITS SEQUEL WILL SUNSET AS PART OF THE TURBINE/STANDING STONE SPLIT
- December 20, 2016, Bree Royce
- "I’m sorry to report that Turbine announced today that it will be sunsetting Asheron’s Call and Asheron’s Call 2 as part of the transition revealed yesterday that will see Turbine’s other MMORPGs migrated to the new independent studio.
“It is with a heavy heart that we must announce the end of our support for Asheron’s Call and Asheron’s Call 2, and will close both services on January 31st, 2017. This decision did not come easy, and we know this is disappointing for many of you. This game is a labor of love, and it’s not easy for us to bring it to an end. We have had a phenomenally long run; one of the longest in the world of MMORPGs, and that in and of itself is a spectacular feat. We are proud of our legacy, and the entire Asheron’s Call team has been honored to adventure with you for nearly twenty years. We thank you very much for being a part of it. It’s been an amazing run. You’ve done Asheron Realaidain proud. Between now and January 31st, 2017, the game will remain available to play, completely free, for any player currently with an account. New account creation will be disabled.”
- "Players will recall that this is not the first time Asheron’s Call 2 has sunsetted; Turbine originally closed it in 2003 due to poor reception but reopened it in 2012. Classic Asheron’s Call has been in maintenance mode alongside its younger sibling since 2014.
- Our sympathies extend to everyone affected by the sunset. AC, you were one of the greats."