LOTRO Anniversary Celebration
Lord of the Rings Online launched on April 24, 2007.
First Anniversary, 2008
Month-Long Celebration Marks the Return of the $199 LOTRO Lifetime Subscription Plan
April 24, 2008 - Turbine, Inc. announced today a special promotion featuring limited time pricing offers and a series of in-game events to celebrate the first anniversary of The Lord of the Rings Online˙: Shadows of Angmar˙ (LOTRO), the award-winning massively multiplayer online roleplaying game. "It's been an incredible year for LOTRO and Turbine" said Jim Crowley, president and CEO of Turbine, Inc. "Winning the 2007 PC Game of the Year, being named 2007 MMO of the Year and the overwhelmingly positive response to the game from fans around the world has been a real validation of our vision*. Our anniversary celebration is a chance for us to take time to gather with our past and present players to enjoy everything that is special about Middle-earth and thank them for their wonderful support with some special in-game events and subscription options."
The month-long celebration of the first anniversary of LOTRO includes:
- Launch of Book 13: Doom of the Last-king: Turbine's fifth content update to LOTRO delivers the frosty new region of Forochel, a new Monster Player class plus a host of other enhancements that continue to make LOTRO one of the fastest growing games in the world!
- Welcome Back Celebration: Former subscribers are invited to come back to Middle-earth beginning May 8th for five days of free play! *Experience the new content added since launch that has increased the size of the world by over 30% including new regions, player housing, the outfit system and a myriad of new raids and instances.
- Save Middle-earth and Win: During the anniversary celebration, monsters throughout Middle-earth will drop rare items when defeated. Players can exchange these rare items for a special gift box that will reward the player with one of a variety of in-game items to aid them on their adventures in Middle-earth.
- Special Anniversary Pricing: For a limited time, Turbine is offering two new pricing plans for the 2007 PC Game of the Year and the 2007 MMO of the Year! Players can choose to become lifetime subscribers for $199 and never pay a monthly fee again. Players can also choose any multi-month plan (90 days or longer) and lock in a monthly price of $9.99 for as long as they maintain their new subscription plan. **
Second Anniversary, 2009
The Lord of the Rings Online is turning two, and its not just the current players that can celebrate. A number of incentives are being offered to lure former subscribers back into the world of Middle-earth, and emails spreading the word have gone out. There is a "Welcome Back Week" of the kind that we're becoming accustomed to seeing quite often now, starting on the 24th of April and ending on the 30th. This means that past subscribers can jump right back into the game for free during the week. The 25% experience bonus (on top of any rested experience bonus) of the last weekend will also be in effect, for all players.
As well as this, special subscription pricing of US$9.99 a month (for 3-month or longer plans) is available again. Both current and former subscribers are able to take advantage of the promotional pricing, but 1-month plans remain at the usual price. For the last little treat, monsters in-game will be dropping rare loot that can be traded for anniversary gift boxes containing a range of special items.
Third Anniversary, 2010
It's LOTRO's Third Anniversary Celebration! Three years is far too short a time to spend among such excellent and admirable folk as yourselves, and we want to show you how much that time means to us. While the party lasts, Middle-earth will be bursting with gifts. The LOTRO Anniversary Celebration officially kicks off on April 29th!
- Party with the monsters of Middle-earth. Earn tokens from monsters when you defeat them and turn them in for level appropriate rewards. Available for players of all levels!
- Special Anniversary Gift! Starting on Anniversary Day and running throughout the celebration, we're giving all current, new and returning subscribers a special gift: the Writ of Virtue. But you have to come to the party to get your gift: make sure to log into the game between Anniversary Day, April 29 and June 30 for this token of our affection.*
- Win the chance to visit and play with the Codemasters team in our "Anniversary Raid Competition".
We look forward to partying with you in Middle-earth!
Fourth Anniversary, 2011
Another year has passed, which means an anniversary celebration with a multitude of activities and gifts! Whether you are brawling for beer at the Ale Hall, winning a new Steed at the Bree-land and Shire Horse Races, or defeating monsters to find tokens, we have something for every resident of Middle-earth.
- Double XP Weekend: Our fourth Anniversary celebration is the best time for you to boost up your character! From April 21-24, all players will enjoy Double XP on all Monster Kills!
- The Battle for Glorious Beer: No celebration would be complete without raising a glass or two. Unfortunately, beer is in short supply at the Ale Hall and patrons are furious! As frustration mounts, customers have begun to take out their aggravation on each other. Prepare for battle as you scramble to get your hands on the liquid gold!
- Bree-land and Shire Horse Races: Try your luck at the Horse Races in the Shire and Bree-land and win a new Anniversary Steed! Racers who successfully navigate the course will enjoy speed boosts to help them along the way. But be careful! The track is outfitted with obstructions, hurdles, barriers...even MUD!
- Party with the Monsters of Middle-earth! A multitude of monsters will also be joining the festivities and will drop Anniversary tokens when you defeat them. Players of all levels can exchange these tokens for an Anniversary Gift Box brimming with party favors!
Fifth Anniversary, 2012
Main article: Anniversary Celebration 2012
April 24, 2012, marks the fifth anniversary of the Lord of the Rings Online and as such special events took place from April 16 - May 9. In addition to returning events from previous years such as the Thorin's Hall Beer Brawl and Festival Horse Races, the fifth anniversary introduced several new events most of which centering on the theme of fireworks. Jointly with the celebration, Turbine introduced fifth anniversary gifts to reward players based on their sign-up date and a "Who is the Biggest LOTRO Fan Video Contest?"
Sixth Anniversary, 2013
Main article: Anniversary Celebration 2013
April 24, 2013, marks the sixth anniversary of the Lord of the Rings Online and as such special events took place from April 16 - May 6. The sixth anniversary has not added any new events from the previous year's anniversary, but all of the previous events are back like the Battle for Glorious Beer, Festival Horse Races, fireworks shows, and Bree Boar-fountain gift-giving/postman quests. Jointly with the celebration, Turbine has continued giving out anniversary gifts to reward players based on their sign-up date.
Seventh Anniversary, 2014
Main article: Anniversary Celebration 2014
April 24, 2014, marks the seventh anniversary of the Lord of the Rings Online and as such special events will take place from April 16 - April 29. Jointly with the celebration, Turbine will continue giving out anniversary gifts to reward players based on their sign-up date. The festival repeats the events from previous Anniversary Festivals, with the addition of new Gondorian themed items including the Reveller's Robe of the Odogil, Reveller's Cloak of the Odogil, Steed of Odogil, and Caparison of Odogil (Odogil being Sindarin for Seven Stars). A new festival hub has been established in Bree near the Boar Fountain, and the Monster drop tokens have been consolidated into a single Steel Token currency.
Eighth Anniversary, 2015
Main article: Anniversary Celebration 2015
April 24, 2015, marks the eighth anniversary of the Lord of the Rings Online and as such special events will take place from April 15 - April 28. Jointly with the celebration, Turbine will continue giving out anniversary gifts to reward players based on their sign-up date. The festival repeats the events from previous Anniversary Festivals, with the addition of new Mirkwood themed items including the Hooded Cloak of the Woodland Realm, Steed of the Woodland Realm, and Caparison of the Woodland Realm The new festival hub in Bree near the Boar Fountain from last year's anniversary returns, and the Monster drop tokens around Middle-earth, Steel Tokens will drop once again.
Ninth Anniversary, 2016
Main article: Anniversary Celebration 2016
April 24, 2016, marks the ninth anniversary of the Lord of the Rings Online and as such special events will take place from April 22 - May 8. Jointly with the celebration, Turbine will continue giving out anniversary gifts to reward players based on their sign-up date. The festival repeats the events from previous Anniversary Festivals, with the addition of new items, including a Windfells Goat, Fire Flower Cloak, White Tree Fireworks, blue orb emote and the ability to barter for Star-lit Crystals . LOTRO held a Ninth Anniversary Livestream on their Twitch channel. At the end of the stream, Frelorn gave away two codes worth 1,000 LOTRO Points each in Twitch raffles. For the "grand prize" Twitch raffle, he gave away The One Ring "on a nice chain," an artbook and soundtrack from the original release of the collector's edition of the game, and a cloth map of the Mines of Moria.
Tenth Anniversary, 2017
Main article: Anniversary Celebration 2017
- April 24, 2017, marks the tenth anniversary of the Lord of the Rings Online and as such special events will take place from April 20 - May 8.
- LOTRO's 10th Anniversary is here and SSG wants you to be a part of our celebration! We would like extend a gift as our way of saying thank you for joining us on our journey over the last ten years! During the Anniversary Festival, which runs from April 20th through May 8th, all players will be eligible to receive gifts based on your account status* as of 11:59am EDT on April 19th, 2017. Gifts will range from set of fireworks for all, to more exclusive items for our most steadfast premium and VIP players.
10th Anniversary Music Countdown
- Chance Thomas is reflecting on a decade of music for LOTRO in a new video series. Click here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp8-eNYOqZmNadm16eTRK6ZFvpRc97q43 for the YouTube playlist!
- A new tune is posted every day along with commentary from Chance Thomas on the particular track.
- Dadi's LOTRO Guides also offers a collection of LOTRO Music by Chance Thomas.
- "In preparation for LOTRO’s 10th anniversary today (April 20th) we thought it would be fun to get you in the mood with some of the music by legendary composer Chance Thomas."
- http://dadislotroguides.com/lotro-music-chance-thomas/ 
10th Anniversary Live Twitch stream
- LOTRO will hold a Tenth Anniversary Livestream on their Twitch channel. Join Cordovan and the rest of the Standing Stone Games crew from Noon until Midnight Eastern on Tuesday, April 25th for a 12-hour livestream celebrating a decade of Lord of the Rings Online! Featuring interviews, in-game fun, a dig through the archives and more!
The Scavenger Hunt
- The Anniversary Scavenger Hunt is underway! Waldo Rumble requires your assistance at the Party Tree in the Shire. Complete scavenger hunts each week to earn rewards and celebrate ten years of LOTRO! April 20 through July 13th.
Keepers of Gifts are located in major cities for this limited period of time, and they accept these barter tokens in exchange for several different types of gift boxes, depending on the type of token
Spring Festival: 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017